Back boiler - new cylinder fitted no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

My heating and hot water were working ok from my back boiler but the cylinder had a leak. Plumber fitted new cylinder and immersion heater. Radiators work ok but there is no hot water at all from using the boiler or the immersion heater and now there is also a rather large 'whoosh' that you can hear behind the fire.

Any advise as this has already cost me a few hundred pound?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean there is no water at all out of the hot taps, or there is cold water coming out of them?

What does your plumber say?

There is freezing cold water coming out of the hot taps...

He doesn't know says its is nothing to do with the replacement cylinder or immersion but something else most probably...

The way that I see it all was working ok before hand...so it should be now...

what do you think?

I think he's a clown. There's an airlock and he's messed up the wiring to the immersion. God knows how.

Sponsored Links
Are all rads heating up properly? Did you have problems with airlocks after refilling, ie. some rads not heating straight away?

Does the pump normally run when hw is turned on? If yes - try turning hw and ch on, on the programmer and turning up pump speed to max/3. Make a note of what speed pump was set to before you do this, as you will re-set to original setting when all OK. You may have an airlock in hw cylinder coil. This process may help to shift it.

What motorised valve(s) do you have?

Yes, as above. Was his name Coco? :LOL:

Is the airlock what is causing the bang? If so what can be done to fix it...does it cost alot?

Thank you

Forgive me as I am a lady...

Yes all rads heating up ok and straight away..

Plumber has agreed to come out tomorrow to have another look in the meantime I have had to turn central heating off as the bang is shaking the house!!

OK. It's poss that there is an airlock in the circulation to hw cylinder's coil. The boiler is banging because it's overheating. Best to leave everything off.

God knows what's happened to the immersion element.

Please let us know how you got on, and don't pay until everything is working properly.

Heating is ok so flow and return pipes heating coil ok, if theres water coming from hot taps there cant be an air lock, could it be he has pipe the cold water supply from domestic tank into the the hot water supply.
Would like to see a photo of the pipe layout to th cylinder.

I reckon its a gravity fed system with pumped heating, the airlock is on the gravity primaries. He may have used a cylinder only suitable for fully pumped systems.

I reckon its a gravity fed system with pumped heating, the airlock is on the gravity primaries. He may have used a cylinder only suitable for fully pumped systems.

Ditto.

Your idiot plumber. Most modern tanks are only suitable for a fully
pumped system. You will need the pipework altering.
Use the immersion heater until it is sorted out.

Gonna cost you a couple hundred quid more to get it working with the boiler.

Oh no!!

Immersion doesn't work though that was a brand new one he fitted had it on for four hours yesterday and water came out cold so no hot water at all.

Turned central heating off due to the bang which seems to be coming from behind the fireplace!

I am worried now! :(

Oh no!!

Immersion doesn't work though that was a brand new one he fitted had it on for four hours yesterday and water came out cold so no hot water at all.

Turned central heating off due to the bang which seems to be coming from behind the fireplace!

Oh no!!

Immersion doesn't work though that was a brand new one he fitted. Had it on for four hours yesterday and water came out cold so no hot water at all.

Oh no!!

So the electric to the immersion isn't even working you employed a right numpty there. Who clearly hasn't got a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back