Back boiler - new cylinder fitted no hot water

Hi all

I paid him :( because heating was on and working i didn't think there would be any problems.

The bang is when both of them are on and have been say for 20 mins or so...

My sister has contacted a friend of a friend who is a plumber he thinks the pump may need bleeding through so he is going to come and do that for me on Monday...

What a nightmare!

Sponsored Links
A picture of the airing cupboard and cylinder pipework will help us ;) question you ask the plumber - " do you know what a gravity circuit is . Have I got one going to my hot water cylinder "

Tony - you cannot keep using this site to promote your costs. Your way over the mark for a 36 18 anyway. You'll not find one with inch tappings as your not allowed to fit a new cylinder to gravity circs - unless you get gledhill to frabricate one for you or you have an old one in stock (illegal). Convert to fully pumped would be the only way.

All the discussions here have been assumptions as we have no details of the installation.

It could well be gravity as those BBUs were often fitted that way. Anyone replacing a cylinder would normally convert it to fully pumped for reheat time and energy efficiency.

I dont think £460 inclusive to supply and install a new 36 x 18 is unreasonable and probably typical of what is charged in London. Warwick is rather upmarket and prices there are probably higher. You might not say that about Rugby and Daventry though.

Tony

I prefer to listen to an immersion as its so much easier!

To test its working, I would need to use my clamp on ammeter and then needs a loop of wire in the supply which is not usually available ( or desirable either ).

We dont know if the old cyl was on gravity. If it was then it seems very unprofessional not to convert to fully pumped.

Gravity may have worked in my grandma's days when they had a coke boiler on all day long. Not relevant now! Highly inefficient too.

Tony

Tony you talk so much shoite at times, for someone who is offering to show others how to test components with a multi-meter why would you need a clamp on ammeter ???? if the resistance of the element is correct and the thermostat and then when powered up you have the correct voltage at the terminals why would you need an Ammeter or a tachograph or a multi blender or a certificate to handle radioactive substances

Sponsored Links
if its a brand new element and you wired it up right...

don't think I've ever had one not work.

Sssllll get a proper engineer. Friend of a friend of the man down the road, may just be a dabbler. You need someone who does this work for a living and has a good track record. Often a well quoted tradesperson will be recommended by two or three friends and relatives

OP where are the pics ?

£70 for a service that is prob gonna do diddly squat for your problem, sounds like an airlock to me

Could be a Bow Lock - there`s enough of them rolling around this thread :mrgreen:

OP where are the pics ?

£70 for a service that is prob gonna do diddly squat for your problem, sounds like an airlock to me

Agreed - that would be another £70 wasted.Onless of course a serice is actually required, but it won't aleviate the immediate problem. I'm afraid that this thread is a waste of time until we know if it is FP or gravity.

The "plumber" does sound as if he is out of his depth, which is really quite difficult in this context.

All sorted now...initially they didn't connect immersion heater properly then there was an air lock..twice they drained system.

Thanks for all your help. By the way they were approved

How long does it take now to reheat the hot water from cold using the boiler?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back