Back boiler - new cylinder fitted no hot water

I`m a bit :eek: when it comes to the ones with metal caps : I`ve got a sonoscope ( mechanics stethoscope) for the low down ones . Does a 50 year old AVO count as a good meter ;)

Sponsored Links
I prefer to listen to an immersion as its so much easier!

To test its working, I would need to use my clamp on ammeter and then needs a loop of wire in the supply which is not usually available ( or desirable either ).

We dont know if the old cyl was on gravity. If it was then it seems very unprofessional not to convert to fully pumped.

Gravity may have worked in my grandma's days when they had a coke boiler on all day long. Not relevant now! Highly inefficient too.

Tony

Well guys the immersion is now working so I have hot water.

I still have the loud bang which they have not said is an air lock they have tried to vacuum it out but it didn't work so they will go to the tanks in the loft in the week however they think it may just gurgle its way out....

They have said the way to fix it is by having a service ideally and they will charge £70 for that...

So its still not being heated by the boiler?

Why not?

What was wrong with the immersion? O/H stat?

I was wondering if I might have a job when I come to the Castle Balti next week!

Tony

Sponsored Links
He didn't say what was wrong with the immersion..

Everything is working now through the boiler ..just have this big bang every now and again...what a nightmare though...

Oh you coming up this way..I'm in Rugby where it's hard to find a decent plumber/heating engineer :(

good to hear you have hot water.

if the boiler noise started immediately after the new cylinder was fitted and no work was done to the back boiler then its a water related noise.

do you know what the thermostat on the boiler is set to,usually a round dial from 1-6 located under the boiler at floor level,usually.

try it half way.

without seeing the layout of your system/cylinder pipe arrangement its impossible for the learned guys here to give exact advice.

good luck.

I regularly go to Warwick/Coventry and do occasional boiler repairs in that area.

In fact I will be there on the 22nd to watch a new gas supply being fitted.

Tony

Tony Said.

I prefer to listen to an immersion as its so much easier! ;) ;)

The crystal set must be in for repair. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Arghhh!

Hot water from the boiler gone off now...so will have to use immersion. Plumber has said he will come back in the week and go to the tanks in the loft to see if the airlock is there, if its not that they said they won't be able to fix it so i'll need a combi boiler fiited.!!

Hot water from the boiler gone off now...so will have to use immersion. Plumber has said he will come back in the week and go to the tanks in the loft to see if the airlock is there, if its not that they said they won't be able to fix it so i'll need a combi boiler fiited.!!

OP, you may want to talk with trading standards as work you engaged this guy to carry out has not been concluded to your satisfaction.

It should not be difficult to diagnose the defect.

Does the bang happen during CH+ HE, CH only or during HW only

If he said he's coming back it isn't concluded so trading standards may not be appropriate just yet.
Have you paid him? If he can't sort it out when he comes back you will be entitled to ask him to pay someone who can.
Whatever happens don't pay him to rip your new cylinder back out and fit a combi.

Tony - you cannot keep using this site to promote your costs. Your way over the mark for a 36 18 anyway. You'll not find one with inch tappings as your not allowed to fit a new cylinder to gravity circs - unless you get gledhill to frabricate one for you or you have an old one in stock (illegal). Convert to fully pumped would be the only way.

Arghhh!

Hot water from the boiler gone off now...so will have to use immersion. Plumber has said he will come back in the week and go to the tanks in the loft to see if the airlock is there, .!!
The airlock won`t be :rolleyes: The " plumber" is a Fool . Just get a proper Registered Gas Installer to convert the system to fully pumped and service the back boiler/fire :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back