Central locking problem

• Thread starter chinablue777
  • Start date
C

chinablue777

Hi there.
My wifes Daihatsu grand move has develpoed a irritating problem regarding the central locking. It is not electronic c.l but the type that locks using the key. The poblem is the drivers door will not unlock so you have to use the passenger seat!!. I have tried the usual WD40 and this did work until recently but not now. The other doors work fine but not the most important one. Is there a simple way do dissable the c.l all together?Or is there another way of freeing up the lock?. Any advice would be very welcome !!

Sponsored Links
Remove the door card from the offending door, and test the lock motor with a 12v supply.....you should also be able to move it by hand to see if its not stuck solid.
John :)

Thank you John. Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by 'door card' and where would you find it? As I said earlier , it is not electronic central locking but just the basic key type.

The door card is the covering on the inside of the door, there will be some hidden screws then usually push in fittings around the door edge, remove this door card to gain access to the door locking mechanism.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
As above - you'll need to remove the door handle, arm rest, window winder et al to get the card off.
Behind will be a layer of plastic sheet that you carefully peel away - this needs to be put back when the job is done.
John :)

Thank you Wotan and thank you John. I will give that a go today but will first have to figure a way to get the door open to get at it ! Once it is open , is there a way to by-pass it ?. Central locking can be a pain as you both know , so is there a way to lock and unlock just by using the key in the old fashioned way?
Tony

Most doors can be unlocked from the outside using the key, unless of course the linkage has not fallen off. can you open the door from the inside? after having got in via passenger side.

Wotan

Thank you Wotan. No Iam afraid not. I can get into the car via a passenger door but I still can't open the drivers from the inside. I forgot to mention that a few days prior to this , when the ignition is on , it makes a bleeping sound for a few seconds then stops. This happens everytime the ignition is turned on. Could there be a link?. :?:

Thank you Wotan. No Iam afraid not. I can get into the car via a passenger door but I still can't open the drivers from the inside. I forgot to mention that a few days prior to this , when the ignition is on , it makes a bleeping sound for a few seconds then stops. This happens everytime the ignition is turned on. Could there be a link?. :?:
That certainly adds to your difficulty, is the door fully closed? try bumping it with your rear end, (bum) it seems like something in the locking mechanism has not engaged fully, the beeps would tend to support this thought, other than a visit to the main dealer (with the expense) it seems your options are running out, sorry I can't help further.

Wotan

Thank you Wotan. I went to open the door about a hour ago and it opened with no problem!. I tried it several times and it opened every time. OK , the bleep sound is still there for a few seconds , but at least I get in!. Thank you for your time and patience , it was appreciated.
Tony

Thank you Wotan. I went to open the door about a hour ago and it opened with no problem!. I tried it several times and it opened every time. OK , the bleep sound is still there for a few seconds , but at least I get in!. Thank you for your time and patience , it was appreciated.
Tony
No problem at all, I like to help if I can.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back