Centres?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So built my garden office base, with 5x2 @ 600mm centres then noggins all the way across again at 600mm centres so when I lay my floor it will be sitting on little squares with every side supported but the old man just said "should be 14 centres so it will bow and flex everywhere" which has left me thinking if I use 22mm chipboard will I be ok?

This then leads me onto the walls... Was going to do these 600mm again so 1200mm pb sheet is fixed on both edges and the middle with a few noggins thrown in for good measures.

Sponsored Links
You don't say what your spans are. Anyway 22mm chipboard would probably be ok and is what you'd get in a wimpey developer new build ie it will scrape through. But there will be some bounce and certainly a few squeaks and woe betide you get a downpour whilst you're building it.

For the small cost difference I'd be going for 25mm T&G plywood. The centres? Well you've done it now but should be OK if the noggins are done well and the whole thing has been built well.

As for wall centres normally you would want your centres to suit your insulation boards as well as PB. Structurally though 600 will be fine.

yes a bit more info would help. I've marked up a picture from earlier, please note the noggins where only in that position (tapped into place) until I figured out they should run in a line so they now follow the orange line. My floor will be laid at 90 degrees to the main floor joists and the long edges and joints will be supported in their entirety by the 5x2 noggins. Therefore the largest unsupported span of floor will be 600x600mm centers minus the timber so actually 550mm square – does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
Looks OK, where is the insulation going? The noggins aren't really required if a good board is used. Also makes insulating between the joists easy. Can't see a dpm under the joists either.

The floor you linked to will be much better than chipboard.

Insulation:

Tile batten frame in each noggin/joist square. Infill panel 6mm wpb. 25mm celotex sitting on wpb panel sealed with expandable foam, covered with a vapour barrier then floorboards covered by industrial carpet

Noggins:

Was paranoid so running noggins in at 600mm centres so all the floorboard edges are supported. Supplier delivered 4.6m 5x2 instead of 3.8m so got a bit left over - figured better than wasting it...

Dpm:
Good spot, this pic was from this morning before I moved the noggins and added the dpm ;)

So with the structure how it is do you think flex and bounce in the floor will be minimal as every edge of the boards are supported?

Really like the idea of ply espically with the dodgy weather. False economy using chipboard only for it to get ruined.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back