Century Heating Novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone wanted some advice on our Central heating system in our flat we brought 3 years ago...we inherited the system from the previous owners who probably already had it for 4 years...

Junkers boiler Ceranorm and thermosta (set to come on 6am-11pm at 21C)
Grundfos pump on timer (set to come on three times a day for three hours each time)
14 radiators (5 turned off, rest set on 3/4 sometimes cold to the touch at the bottom)
1 underfloor bathroom uponor (turned off)

When we moved in the boiler kept losing pressure so the plumber which we also inherited installed an external hot water tank hanging outside the boiler. Now some of the radiators are making extremely loud high pitched noises which can be tuned like a radio with the thermostat on the individual radiator.

My lack of knowledge of the water pump also mystify me as I dont understand if and when the timer for the pump should be set to come on and off as it is external with and external electric cord that runs of a plug socket so will it know to turn off when the heating system is off? Should it be changed to a more modern one?

My main worry and why I am writing this thread is the raidiators are not heating up in one end of the house if they are all turned on. The plumber just simply replied that our boiler is too small but I am guessing maybe the system might need flushing?

Your expertise would be greatly appreciated to a novice like me...

a) Should I I find a new plumber to flushout the system? Ive tried releasing the air from the radiators.
b) when should I set the pump to come on or should I change to a modern auto one?
c) if the central heating is off should I turn off also the pump or will it know not to pump automatically even when it is plugged in

Thank you in advance for your time!

Attachments

• 1607777079097..jpg
    1607777079097..jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 1607779931790..jpg
    1607779931790..jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 1607779943134..jpg
    1607779943134..jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
If I was to take a guess, would I be right in saying you aren't in the uk? You have marked yourself as the UK but looking at your pictures would suggest you aren't?
Junkers isn't a boiler commonly found here.

Sorry not sure how to change the country setting...the apartment is in Berlin unfortunatly my German is not good hence looking for advise on English forum. Are central heating systems quite different?

Those radiators are LST (low surface temperature) they are likely to be the cause of the noise

Sponsored Links
It may be that the pump in the pic is for secondary circulation(hot water to taps); isn't there a settable clock under the cover?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back