Ceramic brake pads

He said disc brakes (though you can't have them without pads!) They came out about 1970 for popular cars, maybe high performance jobs had them a bit earlier. So he could be about 70 yo. I'm 74 and I remember working on drums and discs around then.

Jaguar XK150 from 1957 had Dunlop disc brakes. They were used in 1952 on the racing C-type, and Dunlop had made Aircraft disc brakes during WW2. On the XK150 production cars they were considered a marvellous innovation and I believe there was a warning badge on the back to discourage lesser cars from following too close.

I wonder if that's it above the boot-lid handle?

1280px-1961_Jaguar_XK150_convertible_%2815228331977%29.jpg

Sponsored Links
I fitted some of these to a neighbours Lotus Exige and then took it for the MOT......all I noticed was the brakes initially had very little feel or retardation but once they became hot they were really quite savage.
I also noticed the discs weren't the usual grey iron things but looked rather like an aluminium composite, so goodness knows what that was. Maybe they were ceramic too!
John :)
is this a road going car ?

My understanding of ceramics brakes is that they need to be kept hot to be effective (and don't fade when hot), so does this mean if you are driving slowly and carefully the brakes won't be much use ? even at speed on a motorway the brakes are likely to be cold.

It sounds to me like if you feel the need for ceramic brakes then may be you shouldn't be allowed on a public highway.

Sponsored Links
The Exige was in fact used for the occasional track day, where I guess fade could be an issue......on the road though, the brake performance was excellent apart from the odd microsecond it took for the brakes to heat. As for longevity I have no idea as the car has long gone.
The Elise - with the oddball discs - remains......it's on an R plate and apparently is worth quite a bit.
John :)

Back