Ceramic hob tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

can anyone help me. I was doing some cookong over the weekend when the lid on our pressure cooker came off and cover teh ceramic hob. Once I cleaned up I realised the whole house had tripped out.

I tried to turn it back on on the main fuse board but it would not let me. I then switched off the 45A switch for the hob (it is seperate from the oven) and the mains was ok. I let the hob cool down and tried to turn the switch back on only for it to trip the house out again.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause of this? Could it be the switch blown?? I am thinking of replacing the switch first (the cheaper option) then if that does not sort it fix/replace the hob.

Oh it is a ceramic hob with built in overspill protection - don't know if this makes a difference.

Thanks

Rich.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have one RCD protecting the entire house (which is not a recommended configuration now because of the exact situation you're seeing...)

I suspect some liquid from your pressure cooker has got in to the wiring for the ceramic hob, so when you turn the power on to the hob, there is a (probably very small) amount of conductivity between live and earth, which means the RCD trips. If you feel comfortable doing it, then you could try and access the hobs wiring (if its above an oven it might require taking the oven out etc), and look for any obvious dampness and dry it out - alternatively you could get an electrician in to do it...

Don't get those problems with gas hobs.

Even if the igniters start to cause electrical problems there are always matches.

Sponsored Links
There should be seals to stop spills getting into the wiring.
Chances are its run down the spindle of the control, it should dry out eventually.

Ive had ceramic hobs for over 25 years never cracked 1 yet, Scratched it though.

Leave it a few days and try again.

The switch is not broken, and replacing it will be a waste of time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back