Ceramic or Plastic Pots???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum wants to plant some herbs and veg (tomato, lemon, parsley, etc.) in pots. Does it make any difference whether you use plastic (cheap) or ceramic (expensive) pots? Any pro's / con's of each, and what sizes are best.

Sponsored Links
Size depends on what you want to plant. I generally plant four tomato plants in a tub that's about 18" high and 18" circumference at the top. Tomato plants will need to be staked to support them.

You can do runner beans in same size tub and run them up wigwams.

Bear in mind there's a quite a few plants competing for limited resource so I tend to use compost (not soil out of the garden) and feed and water regularly.

Lemons require a conservatory once the summer is over.

Terracotta look good but do dry out quicker as the sides are porous. Plastic ones are lighter to move and hold moisture better, but any type of pot needs to be watered in the height of the growth season. In winter cheap terraccotta can get frost damaged. PLastic gradually degardes over the years but my tomoato pot is probably 6 years old and still going strong.

The Mediterrean herbs like it hot and dry so probably less bothered if they are in a pot that dries out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back