Certificate from an Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How long does it take to get a certificate /Part P signed off from the electrician that did the job?
Bathroom installed back in March this year so around 5 months.

Background: Had bathroom redone and a new shower, isolator and RCD fitted.
The electrician was brought in by the bathroom fitters.

Phoned bathroom people 4-5 times at first they said it needs to come from the regulation people and can take time. Last time I phoned the owner said he would contact the electrician as it has been a while now.
I know who the electrician is but my contract and dealings should really be with the bathroom people.His advert does state Part P registered.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
IF he IS registered you should receive an Electrical Installation Certificate from him at the time or in a few days.

He has thirty days to notify the registration scheme.

Then three or four weeks after that a Certificate of Compliance from the scheme.

It's normally a lot quicker than that.

Thanks for that.
I will contact the bathroom people again as last time was about 2 weeks ago.
I have found his details on the ElecSa website under approved contractors.
So I hope this is up to date and nothing incorrect was done on my job.

I do not want to start a battle but I need to get it finish.
If I get no where, who can I contact?
This ElecSa organisation or Local building control?

We are going to have a new kitchen fitted and don't want them to find something suspect in wiring.

Sponsored Links
I have found his details on the ElecSa website under approved contractors.
ELECSA certificates are sent out in a couple of days - so if the work was notified when complete, you should have received the certificate within a week - 10 days at the absolute maximum.

However - did the 'new shower' actually involve a new circuit from the consumer unit and a new shower being installed where there wan't one before?

This was a replacement shower and in the same position as the old.
He did put a new what looks like a small consumer unit next to our existing consumer unit. Not sure what it is as not at home to look(sorry).

This was a replacement shower and in the same position as the old. He did put a new what looks like a small consumer unit next to our existing consumer unit. Not sure what it is as not at home to look(sorry).
It sounds as if he merely replaced a shower on an existing circuit and added RCD protection to that circuit, as per current regulations. If that's the case, then it probably would not be 'notifiable' work, so LABC and ELECSA would not have been involved. In that case, the only certificates you could expect would be an Electrical Installation Certificate (or maybe even a Minor Works Certificate) from the electrician himself.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the information.
So from that I guess I only need an Electrical installation or minor work cert.
Is this a compulsory/legal requirement that this is issued?

Thanks for the information. So from that I guess I only need an Electrical installation or minor work cert. Is this a compulsory/legal requirement that this is issued?
Not explicitly. The only legal requirement is that the work should be done in compliance with Part P of the Building Regs - which is just one sentence, essentially just saying that it should be done safely. However, as a means of demonstrating (should they ever be called upon to do so) that they have complied with Part P, most electricians rely on the fact that they have fully complied with the IET Wiring Regulations (aka BS7671) - and those regs do require that such a certificate be issued. ... so you could say that, in an indirect sense, in practice it is almost a legal requirement. One should certainly be very suspicious/worried about any electrician who is not prepared to issue such a certificate.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back