Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some work done in the kitchen:

New circuit for hob
New circuit for cooker

FCU for pelmet lights (off ring main)
FCU for extractor (off ring main)
USB charger outlet (off ring main I thing)
Various sockets added to ring main.
New light fittings to existing wiring.
New light switches to existing wiring.

The electrician has issued certificates for the first two items, but nothing else. Is that correct?

He also did the testing before the final fix of the hob and sockets. Though I was here when he did plenty of testing of the circuits (at least, I think that's what he was doing)

Thanks. Mike

Sponsored Links
The first two are notifiable to Building Control so that is why you have certificates for these.
The rest are not notifiable.

However, I would have issued certificates stating that the ring final circuit(s) (not ring main) and the lighting circuit and their RCDs were satisfactory if only to show that I had tested them correctly.

Thanks for the reply. The consumer unit is very new, and each circuit is individually covered by an RCD, so maybe the electrician was confident of it. It's covered by a certificate from when it was installed.

Thanks.

New circuit for hob
New circuit for cooker

FCU for pelmet lights (off ring main)
FCU for extractor (off ring main)
USB charger outlet (off ring main I thing)
Various sockets added to ring main.

The electrician has issued certificates for the first two items, but nothing else. Is that correct?
No it is not correct, you should have certificate/certificates for all parts that were worked on.
The New circuits are considered notifiable (England and Wales) therefore you should not only be handed over an electrical installation certificate, you should also receive a certificate of compliance from building controls, the electrician should have notified them either prior to starting work (if not registered on a scheme) or on completion (if registered on scheme).
These certificates can take anytime from 1-6 weeks to be sent out and you electrician could have a period of up to 1 month to notify on completion (if registered).

All the other work is likely to be minor works (unless the work was done within the bathroom zones, which would become notifiable as will any work in kitchens if carried out in Wales ).
But even minor works should be proved to be safe and certificates issued for these tasks.
As the electrician has seemed to have issued an electrical installation certificate there is no reason why the other work could not have been documented on this certificate.

As you have new sockets, outlets, fittings and new cable installed to other circuits it, would have been important to follow test procedures and document these.

Sponsored Links

All the other work is likely to be minor works (unless the work was done within the bathroom zones, which would become notifiable as will any work in kitchens if carried out in Wales )

PBD. Like for like replacements isn't notifiable as far as I recall.

You recall correctly, if items of existing equipment are replaced then this would not require notification.
But if the fittings being replaced/fitted were metallic I would recommend that tests were made to confirm an EFLI was present at those points.

Also I've noticed most new (if not all) bathroom light fittings from the likes of B&Q require RCD protection to be fitted as per manufactures instructions.

Did someone say it wasn't?
I inferred that oo7 had that impression but, of course, I may be mistaken.

All the other work is likely to be minor works (unless the work was done within the bathroom zones, which would become notifiable as will any work in kitchens if carried out in Wales )

Did someone say it wasn't?
I inferred that oo7 had that impression but, of course, I may be mistaken.

You are mistaken, my post was just pointing out to the OP that not all work in the kitchen is notifiable. I then got a little side tracked as I often do. :)

All my posts need double checking mate as I've not got the experience of you guys, but it is getting better with every job I get and the home work* I have to do before starting each one. :)

*I am qualified and a full scope member of NAPIT, just want to be sure each job I do is spot on which involves a lot of "home work".

PBD. Like for like replacements isn't notifiable as far as I recall. .... You are mistaken, my post was just pointing out to the OP that not all work in the kitchen is notifiable.
You mean in Wales? As I'm sure you know, in England no work in a kitchen is now notifiable, unless it involves a new circuit or replacing a CU, or if the kitchen contains a bath, shower, sauna or swimming pool etc.

In passing, as I'm sure you also know, despite what a lot of people seemed to think, even pre-April 2013 (and still in Wales) the rules about notification never talked about 'like for like' replacement - anything which could be argued to be 'a replacement' (and some people tried to argue pretty widely) was not notifiable, even if in a kitchen or bathroom.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks very much for the replies folks.

Though I have to say I'm not really that much clearer.

I guess I'll either have to just accept his certificates or else find the regulations and try to interpret them myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back