certification of boiler move

He cannot certificate other peoples work which is why I said he may have to undo some of your work.

Sponsored Links
I am fully aware I shouldn’t have connected it but please when replying bare in mind I am an engineer (HND Mech), I have done loads of copper plumbing and studied the vailiant manuals for weeks!

He's connected the gas. Does not matter how good he is bending/joining copper he is not registered or qualified to work gas.
He doesn't have to be registered to work in his own house.

You should read the gas regulations it clearly states who is lawfully allowed to carry out work on gas it used to state you had to be compertent
it now states you must be Corgi registered

As I said earlier I'm not getting into a yes you can, no you can't, we've all been there and got the Tee shirts, in fact there must be a million pages on this site alone.

Corgi do not make the rules, they are a registration body.

Check the HSE, and if you can't find it pm me I think I still have a copy on my computer.

As I said earlier I'm not getting into a yes you can, no you can't, we've all been there and got the Tee shirts, in fact there must be a million pages on this site alone.

Corgi do not make the rules, they are a registration body.

Check the HSE, and if you can't find it pm me I think I still have a copy on my computer.

Yes Corgi are a registration body but the gas regulations ARE LAW read them \

Sponsored Links
We have been here a million times.....the ONLY reason people carry out gas work privately is to save money.......end of. The OP in my humble opinion of the gas act DID break the law......you can work on your own house IF your competant......and competance can only be proved by passing gas exams (or belonging to a body recognised by the act...ie CORGI)......

Anyway, to original question i personally never certify others work. As i have said in other posts i work in a closed shop and have no intention of giving away my time money and effort to obtain qualifications for others to circumvent the law and save themselves a few quid at our expense. Note, i don't rip off people but when i leave a property, i sleep at night cause i know i left it safe and to regs......to now want a landlords cert and certification of the boiler is a bit rich..........anyways, not all think like me so i am sure he will get it done by someone.........i had 4 flying lessons once.......that doesn't qualify my to fly a plane.....but maybe i can get a qualified pilot to sign me off..........doubt it tho......think on.

I would prefer to get an RGI to do both as you've suggested, would the RGI have to certify it as his own work (providing there are no problems) and thus making it very hard to find somebody willing to do it? or can he certify it on the fact that my work has been suitably checked?
Now THAT would be illegal! Signing a legal document which says the work is his when you agree it is not! Would you really consider that legal.

If ANYTHING went wrong in the future and the HSE or CORGI/CAPITA got involved everything would be down to him. If someone died would you stand up in court and swear that it was you that carried out the work? Anyone would be MAD to say they carried out work done by others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back