Boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to acquire a rented flat.

A new central heating boiler was fitted last year, in circumstances into which I have not inquired too closely, but I insisted that the present landlord obtain a CORGI inspection certificate before I proceeded with the purchase.

The CORGI engineer has passed the installation and issued a certificate, but has noted on it that the surrounds of the flue pipe need to be made good.

In fact, what has happened is that the installer knocked out a brick from the wall and poked the flue pipe through the hole. The space in the wall around the flue pipe has not been filled.

Was it really acceptable to leave it like this? I would have thought there was a danger that the products of combustion could blow back through the space around the pipe.

Would it be sufficient for me to mortar around the pipe, inside and outside the house?

Sponsored Links
Hmm sloppy - "Not to Current Standards".
Mortar would be fine.

I think that most CORGI inspectors would class that as "At Risk" if the hole was not even sealed with a rubber gasket.

I expect the hole to be sealed for gas safety on one side. If thats the inside then I recommend the hole is sealed on the outside to prevent water ingress into the wall.

You must seal it with a fireproof material and NOT expanding foam!

Tony

There is a rubber gasket on the outside, but it doesn't completely cover the hole.

Thanks for the tip about foam. I came across this on the internet - I suppose a hunt around the shelves of B&Q is indicated.

Caulk is also the best choice for filling cracks in highly visible areas, such as along a baseboard molding and around exterior window trim, because it can be tooled to paint-ready smoothness. When sealing around exhaust vents from high-temperature appliances such as furnaces, water heaters, kitchen ranges, and clothes dryers, be sure to use a fireproof caulk. The label should say it meets ASTM-E136.

Sponsored Links
Tony is right, as per.

But as an interesting aside I recent had a CORGI inspector out and about with me and we came across this very same thing. he said that if it had been like that for ages he would be happy with a NTCS unless there was evidence of productsa reentring to property, but is it was a new install he would AR it.

funny old buggers corgi inspectors aint they

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back