certification of boiler move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thanks to all that reply, I’m sure this post will cause a reaction will all corgi guys but I am going to post it and see what responses I get.

I have moved an inconveniently positioned combi boiler to a new position in a small house including connection and a new flue system (6 months ago). I am fully aware I shouldn’t have connected it but please when replying bare in mind I am an engineer (HND Mech), I have done loads of copper plumbing and studied the vaillant manuals for weeks!

My question is this: I now intend to rent the house out, obviously I need a landlords certificate however although completely confident there are no leaks in the flue or gas, would prefer a completion certification prior to landlords cert. how or should I get the job certified? Can it be certified or will they want to redo the connection/flue?

All responses welcome even if they contain abuse for connecting it!!!

Sponsored Links
You can get a landlords certificate for the property from a corgi registered engineer provided it passes the safety checks but you won't get anyone to sign the installation off or register it with corgi. It's illegal for you to have done the work and when you sell the house you may have a problem.

Can of worms :LOL: I can see the mods looking over me shoulder all ready :LOL:

What you have done has not broken any laws yet.

You can notify the boiler move direct to building control, they may not be happt with the new position, flue etc and want it moved or altered.

The landlords cert, phone up an RGI and say you want one, and they will pass or fail as the case may be, just don't tell them its been moved, although it would be a sound idea to get the gas and pressure tested.

Sponsored Links
You can get a landlords certificate for the property from a corgi registered engineer provided it passes the safety checks but you won't get anyone to sign the installation off or register it with corgi. It's illegal for you to have done the work and when you sell the house you may have a problem.

I'm not going to get into any heated arguments over this because it will be locked and more than likely disappear.

He has not done anything illegal, and it does not need to be registered with Corgi, the OP can do that through his local BC. The only difference being, as he is not an RGI they may want to charge for an inspection.

An inspection from building control in my area is £350!

I am fully aware I shouldn’t have connected it but please when replying bare in mind I am an engineer (HND Mech), I have done loads of copper plumbing and studied the vailiant manuals for weeks!

He's connected the gas. Does not matter how good he is bending/joining copper he is not registered or qualified to work gas.

i'm amazed how many qualifications people can have that "makes them competant" to do gas work - HND mech, car mech, and god Knows what else, does all this work the other way round round - making me competant to do any job I so desire without any training what so ever.

I am fully aware I shouldn’t have connected it but please when replying bare in mind I am an engineer (HND Mech), I have done loads of copper plumbing and studied the vailiant manuals for weeks!

He's connected the gas. Does not matter how good he is bending/joining copper he is not registered or qualified to work gas.

He doesn't have to be registered to work in his own house.

i'n not implying i'm 'qualified' to do the work, i've made it clear i know i should of had it connected by a corgi, i was just trying to inform you that i'm not a complete biff like some of the threads on this site so i get the answers on how to correctly get it checked ready to rent the property, without loads of responses based the fact that i should of got a corgi to do it in the first place! thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

The only correct answer would have been to get an RGI in the first place.

I don't think many will stand in your corner, without the thread getting locked.

To sum it up then, obviously it should of been done by a RGI in the first place. however it wasn't so i should inform building control more than likely involving an inspection and then get a landlords certificate.
is that correct?

Sounds about right.

You could approach and RGI who may check it all out and certificate it cheaper than BC, but it could involve undoing some of the work and making the gas pipe visible, he could also do the landlords cert.

I would prefer to get an RGI to do both as you've suggested, would the RGI have to certify it as his own work (providing there are no problems) and thus making it very hard to find somebody willing to do it? or can he certify it on the fact that my work has been suitably checked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back