what should my boiler service certificate look like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Viessman boiler engineer tell me that my gas safety certificate from my gas engineer when servicing my boiler was incorrect and was for landlords, even though it says "Landlord / Home owners gas safety certificate" on there with the word landlord crossed out.

Should I be expecting a different type of cert as a residential householder?

Sponsored Links
I had a Viessman boiler engineer tell me that my gas safety certificate from my gas engineer when servicing my boiler was incorrect and was for landlords, even though it says "Landlord / Home owners gas safety certificate" on there with the word landlord crossed out.

Not really. If he fills your bench mark in then it's sufficient. Land lord cert will do for your records.

A gas safety certificate is what you want. Any gas work performed on an appliance/gas system should be backed up with a gas safety cert IMO. It provides a paper trail of work performed and any outcomes. It also provides evidence for the customers and engineers records.

A landlord/home owners certificate sometimes called a CP12 or P45 has absolutely nothing to do with your boilers service, it is a report of your gas installation at the time of the engineers visit nothing else

Sponsored Links
will disagree there the certificate has boxes to say what the readings are the various checks carried out and has a box that asks whether the boiler was serviced or just inspected

will disagree there the certificate has boxes to say what the readings are the various checks carried out and has a box that asks whether the boiler was serviced or just inspected
Not all brands have that option , some do

in which case it may well be perfectly acceptable the the regin ones do which are probably one of the most popular brand s
Totally agree , personally I use the regin ones , but have at times used online ones and that option is not there and isnt actually a requirement as a CP12/ P45 is a report on what the attending engineer finds on the day of inspection

Takes me back to my first GS inspection with TR. I used to use the regin ones and he said he would prefer to see GS accredited Certs rather than ones that weren't. I asked why as there was little difference, he mentioned that there were a few elements missing on the Regin ones which were a hangover from the old Corgi CP12's, that he would prefer to see.

Funny how something like this post takes you back years.

Takes me back to my first GS inspection with TR. I used to use the regin ones and he said he would prefer to see GS accredited Certs rather than ones that weren't. I asked why as there was little difference, he mentioned that there were a few elements missing on the Regin ones which were a hangover from the old Corgi CP12's, that he would prefer to see.

Frankly, that is an inspector overstepping his remit. What he “prefers” to see is irrelevant. What is REQUIRED should be his benchmark.

What can be “missing” from the Regin ones? That one, currently, even asks about Fire Alarms! That is irrelevant to gas, even generally . At least the tick box for CO alarms is gas related, but still has nothing to do with a CP12.

When I was fully SE, I never bought CP12’s, I printed off my own.

Last edited:
A gas safety certificate is what you want. Any gas work performed on an appliance/gas system should be backed up with a gas safety cert IMO. It provides a paper trail of work performed and any outcomes. It also provides evidence for the customers and engineers records.

But nothing is required. So to that extent the V eng. is wrong.

That is not to say that presenting a cert of some kind is bad, just that it is not required.

personally, I use to print out a service spec sheet - different forms for different applications. I use to record NSI’s, simply to stop smartarses like the VE from asking why the last guy did not notice…….

But nothing is required. So to that extent the V eng. is wrong.

That is not to say that presenting a cert of some kind is bad, just that it is not required.

personally, I use to print out a service spec sheet - different forms for different applications. I use to record NSI’s, simply to stop smartarses like the VE from asking why the last guy did not notice…….
Yes, possibly wasn't clear enough, I think the OP was looking to clarify that what he had been supplied with was correct, whether needed or not, so in that instance I was confirming that the cert was correct and the Viesmann engineer wasn't.

Confused by all the replies.....here is a redacted screenshot.

Is this good enough?
Screenshot 2022-05-16 020659.jpg

Last edited:

Exact same experience for me, same guy TR.
Lol.

I have one of those 24/7 home rescue mo they subscription plans for less than a fiver a month. Got my first service with them this week included.

Not really happy with them as their call centre is overseas and review sites not highly rating them.

What should I ask them to provide in the type of certificate please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back