CH cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm planning on putting some cleaner in my CH system. I have never done this before. I have a gravity fed system. boiler downstairs in garage, water tank in bathroom upstairs and then a small tank and larger tank in the lost. Is it a case of draining the system and then adding the cleaner to one of the tanks in the loft.

Also if this is the case, will I not be bathing in the water the cleaner is in. I thought the tanks up the loft were expansion tanks where the water tank calls water from as it's used. Bit confused. If anyone could give me some pointers that would be a great help

Sponsored Links
The two tanks in the attic have different purposes.

The large tank acts as a supply to the hot water cylinder, it pressurises the cylinder so that the hot water can flow around the house.

The smaller tank is the feed and expansion tank for the central heating.

The water in the two systems does not mix, as the central heating water flows through a heating coil in the hot water cylinder.

So if you add the system cleaner to the small attic tank, you will not be bathing in it, as the water you bathe in is supplied only by the larger attic tank.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer.

What do you propose to do after you've had the cleaner in for a while?
What do the instructions recommend?

Sponsored Links
Provided there is plenty of inhibitor in the system, it shouldn't need regular cleaning.

Is the water black, or are there other 'symptoms' which lead you to suspect a build up of sludge/gunge?

Not really no. I have never put any cleaner in the system so I dont know if it has had any treatment previously so I was going to drain it and start from scratch.

Also just something not relating to the question. But how uch should I be paying for a replacement safety valve to be fitted on my boiler. I just paid £70 is that quite reasonable for the west midlands area?

To be honest if it's all working correctly, I would put some inhibitor in and not worry too much about it (X100 or Fernox F1 are good inhibitors).

If you do want to drain the system, it's basically just tying the ballcock up and letting the water out, preferably through a drain cock. If you do drain down though, beware of the possibility of airlocks upon refilling.

If by a safety valve you mean a pressure relief valve, you don't need one on an open vented system. Perhaps if you tell us which boiler you have, one of our resident boiler bods may be able to advise you.

I just had a safety valve refitted on my Baxi Solo 40/4. It was leaking and caused the pilot to go out. I had someone out today to do it as this is hat caused the pilot to go out on my boiler. Hence why I'm thinking about the boiler now and adding cleaning products. Could i just pour a bottle in the smaller tank upstairs and just leave it. Is that what your saying instead of draining it?

Yes, if the water is reasonably clean and the system is working properly. A bottle of inhibitor in the small tank upstairs every couple of years should keep it that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back