CH constantly on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Oicos HE12 boiler with Drayton timer control. I have time controller set to heat the hot water between 6:00-8:00 AM and then 8:00-9:00 PM. All along the heater was turned off (due to summer) while the hot water was in Auto... However, at the onset of autumn, I turned the heater on for 1 hour yesterday evening using boost, which ran for an hour and stopped. But, since then the boiler didn't stop. Status is still showing "c" and the boiler is firing up from time to time (the burner light blinking), even when there shouldn't be any demand (after 8:00 AM)... To stop this from happening, I had to switch off the boiler altogether. Which means, I'll have to turn it on manually before 6:00 AM and 8:00 PM everyday and and turn them off once we have enough hot water. I wanted to avoid this manual intervention and go back to the Auto mode. Could Someone please let me know the solution?

Regards,
Arijit
Thatcham

Sponsored Links
What model of timer/programmer?

Turn down the room thermostat on the wall, no need to switch off the boiler. CH will stop.

Sponsored Links
AFAIR on the Icos, C indicates a demand for heat. Neon blinks when in ignition phase or when circuit is up to temperature. Burner lit is a steady neon. Possibly a controls/MV problem.

Oicos ? Are you sure that it is not an Ideal Icos?

It might be a faulty programmer. Would need electrical tests to confirm.

Or the boiler may be responding to a frost protection request.

Sounds as if you may need a competent heating engineer if you cannot do the relevant tests.

Tony

Thank you. I have turned the room thermostat to 10 degrees now. No My confusion is, that, CH is not actually on. Water Heater is not expected to come back until 8:00 PM... Still the boiler is getting fired up once in a while... :( It's not constant though... Possibly the water is being constantly heated...
223000_222129_83145_45562855_thumb.jpg
and
223000_222129_83146_80060887_thumb.jpg

Has anyone replaced the pump lately?

You can see if its really heating the water by turning UP the cylinder stat and see if the boiler stays on for a while.

If so then to reconfirm you turn DOWN the cylinder stat and see if turns the boiler off !

Tony

turn the Programmer to "hot water off"

Does the boiler then stop firing?

Is the tapwater unusually hot, or, is there a hot tap running?

I turned the HW programmer to Off position (it was in Auto before)... Then the temperature controller on heater to Min position... Still the burner indicato was blinking and the status is "c"... Not "O" as it used to be... The tap water is not unusually hot!

Don't know, if I am missing a trick somewhere... :(

Has anyone replaced the pump lately?

You can see if its really heating the water by turning UP the cylinder stat and see if the boiler stays on for a while.

If so then to reconfirm you turn DOWN the cylinder stat and see if turns the boiler off !

Tony

Hi Tony,

As suggested, I did turn the heating dial on the boiler to minimum and the boiler stayed off... However, the burner is blinking and status is "C"... When I turn the dial 3 notch towards high, the boiler comes on for a while, then quietens after 5 minutes! I checked all hot water taps. None of them are turned on.

I don't think the pump has been replaced lately. We have taken possession of this home just a month back and during the handover, nothing was mentioned about the pump. The whole heating system is likely to be no more older than 5 years as the home is 5 years old...

Water is getting heated. When I go to the boiler room, I can hear distinct purring sound. The pump (Grundfos Alpha Plus) remains on! Should it not go off, when times cuts off?

Regards,
Arijit[/quote]

It is the thermostat on the hot water cylinder you need to turn.

Does the pump look new?

It very much sounds to me as if the programmer is jammed on. But the tests I mentioned would help to confirm that.

But with any new to you property its always wise to get a competent heating engineer to inspect, advise on condition and how to use the controls and service the boiler.

Tony

Thanks Tony! I have taken out a boiler maintenance contract with British Gas "HomeCare 200™"... Looks like time for a call out... I am not the smartest with heating systems!!!

Thanks Tony! I have taken out a boiler maintenance contract with British Gas "HomeCare 200™"..
Not a bad move, me being ex BG, but the independants on here will be spilling their beer when reading this. :) :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back