CH drain cocks - Type A or B?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Hopefully a simple one this?

I'm instsalling the pipework for my central heating system and am dropping the pipes to the downstairs rads from the void above. As such I need to include a drain cock below each rad for draining the system down; however, after looking through the Screwfix catalogue, it's apparent there are two types a heavy-guage (?) type A and a Light-guage Type B!

Which do I need? WHat's the difference?

Please help!

Cheers in advance, Richard

Sponsored Links
have you considered the lockshield valves with drainoff incorporated? Will save time effort and money if you fit them at initial installation.

p1050790_l.jpg
or
p2372352_l.jpg

JohnD said:
have you considered the lockshield valves with drainoff incorporated? Will save time effort and money if you fit them at initial installation.

p1050790_l.jpg
or
p2372352_l.jpg

I thought about this as an option; however, means drain points wouldn't quite be at the lowest point, i.e. there'd still be a loop of water in both return and flow pipes beneath the rad.

Guess this doesn't matter though?

Rich

Sponsored Links
Having a drain at every rad is more than most people get, I reckon the bit remaining in the bottom pipes isn't significant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back