Drain Cock Type A Heavy Pattern & Type B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
just about to buy some Drain Cocks when I noticed they are sold as either type A Heavy Pattern and type B Light. whats the difference and where would you use them individually. Mine are to be used just for 15mm pipe on a shower. For the sake of the 25p difference in price between them it doesn't really matter, but just curious
cheers

Sponsored Links
Type A are supposed to be leak proof when they are open and used for draining. They have an extra 'o' ring in them to acheive this.

There is no seal around the spindle of a type 'B'. When you open it most of the water runs up your sleeve or comes out sideways around the threads instead of out through the outlet. It's little different to loosening a blank end cap on a stub end of pipe.

The heavy pattern has a seal around the spindle which should keep most of the water flowing through the outlet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks from me too!
I thought that I was the only person in the world who attached a hose-pipe to a drain cock and then had all the water go up my sleeve and over the floor instead of through the hose! In fact it's due to someone saving 25p during the initial fit!! :(

Watch out for some cheap type A drains at Plumb Center. They have the second seal omitted around the outer holding top.

Eagle ones are the same price, but have this extra 'o' ring.

Cannot understand why anyone buys type B complete waste of money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back