CH noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been having an issue with our heating system for the last 3 weeks. It’s was a brand new system (all pipes& fittings) which was only installed around 4 years ago, we have a Valliant system boiler & unvented tank. Basically when the system comes on in the morning and ONLY in the morning, we get a noise which seems to be coming from the back upstairs bedroom like the pipes are rattling for around 10 seconds and then goes. It only seems to happen in the morning and its fine when it comes on in the evening.

Somebody mentioned it might be an air lock so I’ve drained and refilled the whole system and that hasn’t helped.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If you have a thermostatic valve in that room try taking the head off and see if the noise goes.

If you are not confident about doing that just try it fully on one day and fully off the next.

They are a common cause of noise the valve can vibrate on the seat just as it opens or closes often because it's on the wrong end of the rad.

Thanks footprints

I will try that tonight and let you know tomorrow

My bet is a sticking pump. Boiler boils cue knocking noise.
Pump starts when boiler boils due to shock wave.
Jeff

Sponsored Links
If it is a sticking pump, does that mean a potential pump replacement?

But why do I always get the noise in the same room? I should get noise from the boiler if it is a sticking pump right?

Is that room near the boiler? It could be you hear it from a direction.
New pump would be required.
Turn the boiler off tonight and turn it on in the morning when you get out of bed. Stand by boiler and listen.
Jeff

Failing that it could be that the thermostat on the radiator mentioned in earlier post is set really low, this could be slamming on its seating. Turn it off tonight and see if it stops the noise.
Jeff.

Sorry about the late reply but I think I can safely say it was the thermostatic valve! since removing the head, its been absolutely fine, not even a sound!

Thanks again all

Thanks for updating, glad to hear the source is located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back