CH on when panel is set to off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm sure most of you have seen posts about this before as I have gone through a lot of them (many proving very useful).
However I'm now looking for further advice.

Since moving into my house I've had an issue with the CH. The problem is it won't turn off when asked to from the control panel (Lifestyle LP241). The only way to turn off the CH is by flicking off the main switch next to the panel.
One thing to note, the hot water can be turned off and on via the panel without issue.
My first thought was to check the valves. There are two 2-port motorised valves, one for CH, the other for HW. P/N 679H308-30L1 - the older discontinued ones that unfortunately cannot be removed from the valve without difficulty.
After inspecting both valves it was obvious that the HW valve was working fine according to the panel settings but the CH not.
My initial thought was the motor in the CH valve. I replaced this but this didn't solve it. Regardless of the setting (on/off) on the control panel I could see the small cog on the motor continue to rotate in one direction - to open the valve.
Does anyone have any ideas as to why the motor would want to continually open?
Could it be the microswitch? if so, anyone know the correct one that would fit (struggling to find the right one).
Is it going to be easier to replace the valve altogether with a partial drain? The valves are in the loft so I would expect onply a partial drain would be needed.

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Could it be the microswitch?
Usually that's the culprit. The programmer only operates the motorised valve in conjunction with the room thermostat. It's actually the microswitch that controls the boiler, and it isn't wired via the programmer.

However, something here doesn't quite make sense. Normally when the microswitch has failed, only the boiler continues to fire, but the heating doesn't actually stay on, because the valve which is controlled by the programmer has closed. The fact that the motorised valve's motor is powered when the programmer is on or off suggests that either it is wired up wrongly, or the programmer is faulty in that is is not actually switching the heating off

If you are able to use a multimeter safely it's fairly easy to check.

Could it be our old friend "Mr Frost Stat" :rolleyes: :LOL:

Ahh now you may have hit the nail on the head there. The boiler and frost stat is located in an old (and cold) extension/outbuilding.
What an oversight! :oops:

I'll turn down the frost stat as a test to see if the valve closes.

Thanks Stem and Boilerman2 for your quick replies!!!

Sponsored Links
It was exactly that - frost stat set to about 15 degrees for some reason.

What a plum!

At least I now know the heating system inside out!

Thanks again to the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back