CH Pump - Chicken & Egg question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH system blew it's fuse this morning. It appears that the pump is the culprit and confirmed by removing the live.
There has been a leak around the pump for a while I assume as there is a lot of black sludge and oxidization. When the CH came on this morning there was a strange noise in it's vicinity and I assume that it had started and them bound up to create a short.
The poser is that there is a small leak from the nut on the isolator valve above the pump which may have been the culprit. But how can a leak that may have penetrated into the pump cause the problem. When I removed the wiring cap to isolate the live wire, everything was dry inside. Any ideas why, please

Sponsored Links
Pumps fail. Simple as that. More crud in the system, more likely they are to fail prematurely.

If it's been leaking for a while then it may have seeped into the electrics inside the pump, or it may just be that the pump has come to the end of its life

Could be in the housing? Have you checked your wiring in the center?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response. I'm OK with electrics but won't touch the plumbing and will therefor get a guy in.
Can you tell me apart from a new pump will the isolator valve need replacing and then if so will the system have to be drained?

Can you tell me apart from a new pump will the isolator valve need replacing and then if so will the system have to be drained?

If it’s been leaking I’d suggest it does need to be replaced.

If the isolator valve is like a tap without a handle, can’t the gland be tightened up a bit?

757BB357-B1A6-4C74-BBD7-D44FACD1CC24.jpeg

Thanks for the info. The plumber said he'd replace both isolators at the same time he fits the new pump. Yes the isolators are as above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back