CH & Rad quotes..... new install, couple of Q's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been collecting quotes for the installation of a brand new CH & 6 rad install, and am amazed at the diversity of the quotes....

Weve had 7 quotes ranging from £2800 - £4800... several between £3400 - 3800... 5 of them are from Checkatrade, which I know provides the customer with some form of reference point, but I think its a bit of a license to add around £500+ to the installation cost... 2 quotes we have had <£3000 which are not from cheackatrade, but from personal trustworthy recommendations....

While the choice of boiler for each can vary, the main contenders seems to be Worcester and Valliant... The 2 most expensive instlinstallations0 & £4800 can both provide a 5 year warranty with their install, which as these are both at least £500 more expensive than those who can only provide a 2 year warranty, suggests you are essentially paying £500 for the extra 3 year warranty... Looking around, you can get a 3 year comprehensive CH insurance policy for just under, which will cover the full installation, and some include annual service.

Needless to say, Im tempted with one of the personal recommendations, who was recommended by a friend who had work done, and has a bit of a plumbing background, so knew about the installation... He has a self run one man business, so less overheads and expenses, which is perhaps why he can do the job for less than 3k...

He would install a Glow Worm (2yr warranty), but could do a WB for £150 more... is this worth it, or am I essentially paying extra for the brand??

Is a thermostat necessary, or required for building regs (or whatever the governing body for such installs is), if all rads have TRVs?? I have been told that you need one in an area with a rad witn no TRV which essentially becomes the temperature control area for the rest of house... While I understand how this would work, surely this could be done by setting the TRVs on the rads manually.. afterall, once youve found a sutiable temp for all areas, you shouldnt have to alter it...

We were also out in touch with someone who would do a "private" job, but said he could do install, but get someone else to commission it, and he could knock of the VAT too.. which all sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me, so Im tempted to stay well clear of this....

Any comments or advice would be welcome....

Sponsored Links
Needless to say, Im tempted with one of the personal recommendations, who was recommended by a friend who had work done, and has a bit of a plumbing background, so knew about the installation... He has a self run one man business, so less overheads and expenses, which is perhaps why he can do the job for less than 3k...

He sounds like the man for the job. Forget Glow-worm. WB or Vaillant are the preferred choice.

Room thermostat is not going to put the price up by much .Don't forget your trv's on radiators are not going to give you the same level of control. They aren't going to turn your boiler off like the roomstat. The roomstat gives you an extra level of control.

You're going to need a thermostat somewhere to shut the boiler off when you are cosy and warm! If you only use trv's the rads will shut off when at the required temp, but the boiler will keep running.

Does the boiler not shut off when the flow is reduced due to the TRVs restricitng it?

WB or Vaillant are the preferred choice

Is this because engineers pushing them get bigger discounts from the manufacturers?

I would be very interested to see some info stating that they are better than the glow worms to justify their premium pricing...

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler not shut off when the flow is reduced due to the TRVs restricitng it?

No.Not that simple unfortunately.

Is this because engineers pushing them get bigger discounts from the manufacturers?

Nope.Mainly because they are generally more reliable/better made.

Anyway,you pays your money...

More money does not necessarily mean better qualtiy!

Why would a plumber fit a poorer quality boiler, knowing that he may have to go back and fix it.. its a false economy, and surely not worth his while, plus would not do any good for his rep...

Up until a week ago, id only ever heard of glow worm!

Why would a plumber fit a poorer quality boiler, knowing that he may have to go back and fix it.. its a false economy, and surely not worth his while, plus would not do any good for his rep...
Usually because the customer wants a cheap job.

And in point of fact the installer isn't the one who comes back and fixes your boiler if it's a manufacturing fault-it would be a service engineer working for the boiler manufacturer- YOU,the customer would have to arrange that.

Up until a week ago, id only ever heard of glow worm

Well,you mustn't have read the replies to your last thread on this topic four weeks ago in which four other boiler manufacturers were mentioned!
Here it is, in case you forgot:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1432664#1432664

valliant and WB are simply the biggest players.

WB gets most of there sales via british gas(50-75% I heard :eek: )
valliant rely on past good boilers to sell boilers today. they are basically run by glowworm staff. valliant, glowworm, heatline and SD are part of valliant group.

the UK market is very competitive for boiler makes so plenty of choice. as long as you get your boiler installed correctly any boiler make really will suit. get the boiler that bests matches your budget.

only make to stay away from that we can all agree on is ideal

WB gets most of there sales via british gas(50-75% I heard icon_eek.gif )

lol.. makes me laugh, British Gas topped the scales with a quote of 5.5k.. double my cheapes quote!!!

Rip off merchants!!!!

Ive gone with the Glow Worm, after looking into it all, I dont need any fancy digital timers, rf, etc... at least nothing Im willing to spend an extra £400 on, I just need a boiler, plain and simple!!!

Then i wonder why all the hoo ha from you if you were going to take the cheapest quote.....your queries as to why a stat is needed seem to lead one to the conclusion that if you don't have to have it you won't therefore cheaper still......

And as for the sudden memory loss as to boiler names from a previous post.....oh dear sort of the nail in the coffin there.

Rip off merchants!!!!

Ive gone with the Glow Worm, after looking into it all, I dont need any fancy digital timers, rf, etc... at least nothing Im willing to spend an extra £400 on, I just need a boiler, plain and simple!!!

They have offered to do a job for a certain price and you have the option to choose the cheapest option so how can they be rip off merchants? Maybe their boiler is gold plated and will be installed by the MD.
They could say you are a timewaster for being a quote collector and wasting the time of all those guys who went to your house.

Any job done at this time of year will have a premium because of the weather. Its supply and demand.

WB or Vaillant are the preferred choice

I would be very interested to see some info stating that they are better than the glow worms to justify their premium pricing...

Take a look at the topic headings on the 'plumbing and central heating' page of this forum. The words 'Glow Worm', fault and problem keep coming up time and time again. They got what they paid for, and are now paying the price in aggro and a cold home.

Frankly, you are the sort of constantly nit-picking quote collector that most right-minded installers would run a mile from. You know the price of everything, and the value of nothing!

And as for the sudden memory loss as to boiler names from a previous post.....oh dear sort of the nail in the coffin there.

I had actually genuinely gorgot.. sorry!!! I hadnt received any notification emails, obviously now know they aint set up.. and forgot id posted it!!!!

I can see im ruffling a few feathers here and dont mean too...

Like a lot of people, Ive had a bad experience in the past which has made me more weary, especially of tradesmen.. fuelled by horror stories and tv programmes.. unfortunate as it is, its just the way things are... Ranging from double glazing quotes from £12,000 you eventually pay £4000 for from the same national company....!!!

After getting only 3 quotes, I was somewhat amazed by the huge differnece in pricing.. for what was essentially the same job, so it made sense to get a couple more. The key differnece between all the quotes, was the boiler alone.. which after research, varied from £600 - £1000 depending on model/make etc... reflecting a difference of £400. How could this translate to between £1000 - £2000 difference between quotes? No matter how I tried to break the costs down, nothing added up.

What didnt help this matter, was the lack of transparancy, there was no itemisation of costs, with all quotes simply having a single cost, vat, and total... Now, regardless of whether you are a customer of a tradesman, or a tradesman buying supplies, or anyone buying anything for that matter, you would expect to see an itemised bill.. you get them everywhere else! If you dont get one, you wonder why... you want to know where your hard earned money is actually going... and certainly question large differences between them... I had no intention of going with the cheapest, as from experience, cheap is not always good, but then neither is expensive!

At the end of the day, it depends which side of the fence you sit on, the buyters, or the sellers.. The seller wants to make money, the buyer wants value for money...

Im glad Ive gone about it the way I have, its certainly opened my eyes, and I wouldnt hesitate to do the same again... nor would any potential customer with a modicum of common sense. Certainly everyone I have spoken to, and taken advice from would do the same...

Ive just spent the last couple of days reading posts all over the place, relating to boiler reliability, breakdowns, problematic models/brands.. and am quite confident in saying that in general, they can all have problems regardless of reputation, brand, or expense....

Ive found just as many complaints, poor reviews, about glow worm, worcester and valliant... that I think its just pot luck!!! No single brand, out of the most common boilers, stands out more than any other...

As long as its installed safely, and regularly serviced, youve just got to keep your fingers crossed!!

People generally post their problems in forums, so its perhaps not the best place to form an opinion... the more popular the system, the more people have it, and the more likely there is to be reported problems in forums!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back