CH temper mental

The system where water leaves the boiler and you have a choice of HW, CH or HW/CH shared using a pump and a 3 port valve is a 'Y' plan. The older systems would have a pump for the CH only and gravity for the HW. This means you can have HW only, or HW and CH but you can't have CH only. If the boiler is on, you have HW like it or not. Of course even with the 'y' plan if choosing HW/CH and hot water is not being drawn from the cylinder the cylinder stat soon switches off and diverts power to move the valve to CH only. So even when you've chosen HW/CH the valve will only stay in mid position until one of the stats operates. Usually the cylinder stat because the heat loss through the radiators is far more than through the cylinder insulation.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'd still like to know what the boiler is, and if you want help, where are you?

OKAY, UPDATE FOR YOU ALL!

I have managed to get an engineer to come and have a look. They quickly went through my notes etc. and took a look at the valve first of all.

It's up the duff - something that most of the engineers said couldn't happen if it was half on/half off.

So a new valve is 120+vat, fine, no problems.

Gonna take an hour to fit and an hour to test it and do a boiler service.

So i'm looking at about 350/400 all in i think.

I am smiling. If this works, it'll be great.

He said there wan't any problem with the fan in the boiler - but he's going to oil it up. Apparently most of the noise was coming from the valve opening and closing.

The front two bars of flame were igniting but that was it. Which is why the heat was so low. It was topping up the HW, but not with enough power to heat the house so the heat was coming from the HW tank and into the rads.

He's coming Monday to fit everything so hopefully we will be sorted for this winter!

I will update and let you guys know final costs and how it went etc.

Thanks again for all your interest and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back