CH water hot, but hot water Luke warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dad has a heating system which is the conventional sort with header tank in the loft. The boiler has pumped heating and gravity hot water.

over the past couple of months the heating is fine, maintaining warm temperatures but the hot water is really just Luke warm. It does improve if the heating is switched off (which it often is these days), but it is far from what it was.

whilst I’m not sure what I’d be looking for, I can’t see any signs of a thermostat controlling the hot water tank, I doubt there is one as the small radiator in the bathroom is, I was told, linked to the gravity feed to prevent the hot water over heating.

the system was serviced by a registered engineer last October.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Get a heating engineer to check for blockage in the tees that connect to the cylinder coil

Photo of cylinder cupboard and motorised valve(s)?

Sponsored Links
I can’t see any signs of a thermostat controlling the hot water tank
you cant have a thermostat on a gravity hot water system, the temp of the water is controlled by the thermostat on the boiler , possibly scale or some air in the coil

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
motorised valves on a gravity HW systen @Chris_W tut tut mate :LOL::LOL::LOL:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Might treat myself to an eye test now opticians are re-opening and restrictions are being lifted :LOL::LOL::LOL: or I could just read it properly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks mate.

That said, how many times have we found out system is different than what was described by OP ;)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Might treat myself to an eye test now opticians are re-opening and restrictions are being lifted :LOL::LOL::LOL: or I could just read it properly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks mate.

That said, how many times have we found out system is different than what was described by OP ;)
Totally agree mate so many call an open vented system a gravity system, including some engineers :LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back