Chaining two thermostat bridges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m trying to do something a little different here.

I have a Nest Thermostat Heat Link wired up to my boiler but I’m also investing in Tado TRVs to manage the heating by zone.

The issue I have is that I prefer the aesthetics and ease of increasing the temps via the Nest.

what I was thinking is to keep the nest but wire the Call to Heat to the Tado Bridge. Essentially using both thermostat bridges, using a terminal block to wire the power to both but only have the boiler heat call wired to Tado. I’ll then set up a way to have the Nest interact with the Tado system.

my main question is, is this all feasible? Can I chain the live power via a terminal block to both units without issue?

If so, which gauge (awg) of electrical wire will I also need to add in?

Sponsored Links
Nest and Tado can be on/off or OpenTherm which are you looking at?
Nest was able to link to Energenie TRV heads, however when I tried I found it worked reverse to expected, the Nest controlled the TRV not the TRV controlling Nest.
Using the Energenie app when I altered Nest the TRV's followed, however when I turned Nest dial or when Nest was set for a timed change, I found the TRV failed to follow.
I rang up Energenie and was told Nest had removed support, so the TRV's no longer link to Nest they are just set with same schedule.
It seems in USA Nest has released temperature sensors so it can monitor the temperatures in 4 rooms, but these have not been released in the UK and the Nest units are different UK to USA so seems unlikely they will work.

In fact Nest Gen 3 has been a disappointment, main reason for Nest is only two wires between main house and flat where boiler is, and they change colour so a joint some where, did not really want to use mains voltage, and wanted to control DHW and CH plus keep the thermostat/controller powered, and Nest Gen 3 has done that.

However after Nest went to Google it seemed to go down hill. My first problem was the anti legionnaires which would turn on boiler at random times, since there is no tank thermostat on my system it was clearly wasting energy, found how to turn off feature, then there was the learning bit, well doors open or doors closed changes how fast my hall heats or cools, so it built up a crazy sequence so that had to be turned off, and then the geofencing it seems it swaps from eco to comfort, but no way to set at how far away it swaps, it did seem to work of sorts, but early this year high winds took out the EE mast and it was second day before I realised why so cold, as when you walk past the thermostat it detects you anyway so goes to comfort, but sitting in my bedroom playing on PC it thought I was not home so went to Eco, so geofencing also turned off.

So all the smart features have been turned off. Since Nest is the only smart wall thermostat I have tried to use can't say how others work, but I am now a little wary of using smart features.

We also have Nest Mini's great for listening to radio, or other music, and use it a lot to help with spelling, but as to working smart stuff, it was like a mischievous little boy, phone rings so tell it to turn off, and instead of turning off music it turns off 5 switches which is the lights, hay google turn lights back on gets "don't know how to do that yet." so not keen on putting central heating into the control of Nest Mini's, I am sure both the TRV's and the Nest wall thermostat can both be controlled with Nest Mini's but I want a warm home.

So it seems likely you can use some thing like alexa or nest to integrate different makes of central heating controls, I know energenie uses IFTTT which is another way to integrate different systems, the big question is do you want to trust your heating to some mischievous little gadget which may result in a cold home? Specially when programmed with speech so you can't see what it intends to do.

I did look at Tado before fitting Nest, and it seemed they did not want to tell anyone how it worked, little better now, but after Nest played silly, not wanting to trust some thing which I know so little about will do what I want.

I thought with geofencing I could have set it to work in a step system, so up to 10 miles from home drops 2°C and 20 miles 3°C then 30 miles 4°C and so on so giving the system time to get back to comfortable temperature before I get home, but nothing so smart, so in the main it is take out phone and manually alter the heating/cooling level.

I watch my wife returning home on google maps to know when to start dinner or make coffee, but it jumps, specially last 8 mile, so see her in Welshpool, where she may stop and do some shopping, which is 8 mile away, and next thing it shows her in my town, I assume google maps uses same info as geofencing so can see how unlikely to work as expected.

That’s mainly the reason why I went with Tado for the TRVs too. Their implementation for Geofencing is better and you can specify a radius for the house and also specify how soon you want the heating to turn on based on specific profiles.

I’m a software developer so I’ve already coded a way to to change the TRV temps to the same as the Nest and monitors it every 30 seconds. There’s still more changes needed to make it fully functional but it allows me to regulate the temperature in each room properly, usually my living room is super warm and gets too uncomfortable.

I have the Nest wired up to a combi, heat on/off method.

what I need advice on is the wiring aspect

On my Nest Heat Link I have

N -> N
L -> L
1 -> Call to Heat
2 -> Common

What I want to do is

N -> N(Tado) & N(Nest)
L -> L(Tado) & L(Nest)
Call to Heat -> Tado
Common -> Common(Tado) & 2(Nest)

if this is possible will a 18AWG wire work with connecting these up with terminal blocks?

Last edited:
Curious why you keep referencing American Wire Gauge when your profile says you're in the UK and this is a UK site.
Apart from that, I don't see the problem. You prefer the Nest UI, you've lashed some code together so the Tado TRVs get their setpoints from the Nest box (good work).
Presumably the Tado TRVs report back to the Tado bridge so as far as I can tell you only need common and call for heat connected to the Tado bridge.

If you are using the Nest as a room stat as well as as a control interface for the Tado valves then you have a choice;
Connect Common and Call for heat from both devices in parallel- boiler will supply heat until both systems are satisfied OR.
Connect Common from Nest to boiler send, connect Call for Heat from nest to common on Tado, connect Call for Heat on the Tado to boiler call for heat. Boiler will only fire when BOTH systems are calling for heat.
Wire size- In this country, 1mm or 1.5mm T & E would do for the link, so would flex of the same cross section (it's only a signalling line, current will be 1 amp or less)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info - I was just looking at purchasing everything from Amazon and the wire was just quoted in AWG so assumed it was some sort of standard. Understood that I need to buy Twin & Earth 1.5mm cable.

I've attached a diagram, I'm assuming this follows the "Call for Heat on the Tado to boiler call for heat" scenario you pointed out.

The Nest Thermostat won't function unless the Heat Link is powered and paired.

I also like the idea of both requesting heat.

Blank diagram.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info - I was just looking at purchasing everything from Amazon and the wire was just quoted in AWG so assumed it was some sort of standard.

It is, an American one. Surprised Amazon sell it here, well perhaps I'm not.

OK revamped the diagrams, @oldbutnotdead as far as I gather this is what you're saying

L = Live
N = Neutral
C = Common
H = Request Heating

Choice 1 - Have Tado Control the heating and Nest only allows to monitor temp in the room

TadoControl.jpeg

Choice 2 - Run both Nest and Tado in Parallel, as long as any are requesting heat the boiler will remain on.

Parallel.jpeg

Choice 3 - The Nest can request the heating and relays it to Tado to ping the Boiler

NestRequests.jpeg

As long as the contacts are volt free you can connect as many as you want in parallel so if any room demands heat, boiler runs.

So with TRV heads there is no real need for any wall thermostat, all you want is a hub, so with for example 4 TRV's TRV-report1.jpg if any TRV has target below current boiler runs, if not boiler stops, what I can't understand is when my computer can read target and current for each TRV head, why can't I get a propriety device to simple read the temperatures and trigger the boiler when required.

So if this TRV head current below target then boiler should run, i.e. IFTTT. But does not seem to be a device which does it.

Your choice 3 is wiring the 2 controllers in series. The Tado bridge doesn't know or care what voltage is on the COMMON line, its function is to make a circuit between COMMON and CALL FOR HEAT when its internal programming requires it (ie when 1 or more of the TRVs are calling for heat).

Your choice 3 is wiring the 2 controllers in series. The Tado bridge doesn't know or care what voltage is on the COMMON line, its function is to make a circuit between COMMON and CALL FOR HEAT when its internal programming requires it (ie when 1 or more of the TRVs are calling for heat).

Thanks for the info, I guess I’ll go for either choice 1 or 2. Does the wiring look correct from what I imagine?

Yes looks ok. And as someone else said, 1mm is plenty, 0.75 or 0.5mm would do (long as the circuit fusing is appropriate). Flex will be easier. I'd go choice 2, you can always disconnect the Nest if the boiler is running redundantly (ie Nest calling for heat but Tado TRVs all satisfied- assuming all your rads have Tado TRVs)

Perfect, thanks. Yes all the rads have Tado TRVs except two (bathroom and downstairs toilet)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back