My Boiler would not start but Hot Water Works (Tado setup)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and I hope someone can help me plz. I included my prev hardware details and boiler details.

1. Main Combi Eco Elite 30 (Combi Boiler)
  2. Siemens RAA20 wired thermostat
  3. Siemens RWB27 timerswitch/programmer
  4. Bought Tado Starter Kit V3+ w/less thermostat

I followed the Tado instructions and all went ok except when using the APP and turning the heating on no heating. Turning the tap on no issues and I get hot water. I contacted Tado and they said I have two options.

1. I need to replace my Tado Smart w/less thermostat with a Smart wired thermostat OR
2. I can BRIDGE my old Siemens RAA20 (set to always on).

I do not want to buy a new KIT as Tado said I have been given incorrect advice so asking them to exchange it. However, I have already installed everything. I am including pics of my old thermostat so I am wondering if someone can explain what BRIDGE means (set to always on) and what I need to do.

1.Siemens RAA20 Thermostat have

L= Brown cable

Y1= Black cable

Y2= Empty

I would really appreciate if someone can help me to solve the issue so I do not have to buy another kit.

Thnx

IMG20230121194204.jpg
IMG20230123221538.jpg
IMG20230121194621.jpg

Sponsored Links
Join the two wires in L and Y1 together. That will take it out of the circuit. You can do it at the thermostat, or at their origin then the old stat and cable can be removed.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply and I really appreciate it. When you say join them together and I only wana do it at the thermostat. Tado included some (2-Terminal Connector Blocks) with this kit. I am attaching the pictures. Can you plz check this and let me know if this is the right connector and also can I just use any side for the cable. For example, use the right side of the connector for L or Y1 or it does not make any difference.

thnx

IMG20230130130752.jpg
IMG20230130130806.jpg
IMG20230130130836.jpg

I've added some sketches to my existing post, that show how it can be done. Basically when the old thermostat turned the heating 'on' the black and brown wires were simply electrically connected together inside it. Electrically speaking, it's just an on/off switch. Sorry for the quality of the picture, but hopefully you will be able to see.

You can use the connectors provided, or use the existing terminals inside the thermostat as per my sketch.

Instead, some people leave the existing thermostat in place and simply set it to its maximum position, which achieves the same thing. The risk is that it inadvertently gets moved at some point in the future.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much. I am going to give it a go and provide an update afterwards.

Hi,

You are a STAR. U just saved me well over £100 to buy a new Kit. I followed exactly what u said and Wullah heating works. Thank you so much and I really appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back