I've wired up Tado, but nothing seems to happen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I previously had the following set up:

Honeywell T6360B thermostat (on Ground floor)

Bosstherm BRTMK2 (On Top Floor)

Siemens RWB9: Main unit - This controls both the Honeywell and Bosstherm as well as the hot water.

The current boiler is Patterton Suprema boiler 100L 9016

There is also a megaflow water tank.

I have now replaced it with the following:

Tado Wireless Receiver [Serial number: BP2983878400] (replaces Siemens RWB9)

Tado Wired Thermostat [Serial number: RU2742311424] (replaces Honeywell T6360B)

Tado Wired Thermostat [Serial number: RU2378127872] (replaces Bosstherm BRTMK2)

Tado internet bridge IB3910558720

Everything is set up, and the Tado app says it can control heating on both floors, and it can control the water. However, when I try to change the heating or turn the water on, nothing happens.Any one have any ideas? As I've got no hot water or heating. Thanks!

This is the wiring for the old Honeywell T6360B thermostat:
OLD Honeywell T6360B.jpg

This is the wiring for the new Tado wired thermostat that replaces the Honeywell:
TADO Ground Floor.jpg

This is the wiring for the old Bosstherm BRTMK2 thermostat:
OLD Bosstherm BRTMK2.jpg

This is the wiring for the new Tado wired thermostat that replaces the Bosstherm:
TADO Top Floor.jpg

This is the wiring for the old Siemens RWB9:
OLD Siemens RWB9.jpg

This is the wiring for the new Tado receiver that replaces the Siemens RWB9:
TADO main reciver.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oh my where to start?

You seem to have put earth/cpc into normally closed terminals.

You seem to have an additional black wire from original Honeywell

It’s hard to see where you have put the common on the Tado that replaces the Siemens, it looks like the wrong terminal and could have caused damage.

In the last one, you don’t have any commons at all, which should be linked from the L terminal

I looked at Tado which seems very similar to Nest Gen 3, and noted no wires in common so clearly will do nothing.

What we have to remember before Part P often central heating was wired by plumbers who had no idea of what the regulations required, and would use earth wires as live wires. And also fail to run earth wires.

With my own system I had to work out what wires ran where, then select a system that would work with existing cables and design from scratch.

I selected Nest Gen 3 as two wires would power the thermostat and transmit all info, not that it was best for the house.

What we have to remember before Part P often central heating was wired by plumbers who had no idea of what the regulations required, and would use earth wires as live wires. And also fail to run earth wires.
I understand that, but it looks like they were terminated in the correct earth terminals originally, it’s the OP who has done it wrong.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help! I got the heating working.

The hot water however doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? Here is my updated wiring:

Tado Wireless Receiver
Tado Wirless Receiver.jpg

I don’t suppose the thermostats would have any impact on the hot water. But I have included the updated wiring:

Replacement for HoneyWell:
honeywell replacement.jpg

Replacement for Boss Therm
boss therm replacement.jpg

Thanks again for the help and patience!

Did the RWB9 do the hot water too? It seems there’s 2 zones for heating, but no additional control?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions RandomGrinch and CBW!

I got this working! The Tado comes with a wireless thermostat. Tado advised me that this wouldn't work for my house and I need two wired thermostats. However, it turns out the wireless thermostat controls the hot water.

So if anyone has this situation, you just need to do the following:
1. Set up the wireless thermostat following the instructions to pair it to the main receiver.
2. Run the test mode on the main receiver for hot water.

Once all this is done, the hot water will work. No changes to the wiring is needed.

You can then either assign the wireless thermostat to the same area as the wired thermostat. Or you can make it it's own area. As an own area, it can't control the heating, but it can show the temperature of the room it is placed in.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back