Two heating zones and Tado

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am looking to install the Tado system in my new build house which has already got two-zoned system which is controlled by an ESI ES3247 programmer and two ESI wired thermostats.

I understand that the 'standard' way of installing Tado would be to replace each of the thermostats with Tado and setting the central heating programmer to always on. My issue with the above is that I will not be able to control hot water with Tado.

I thought of a workaround in my head but I am unsure whether this would cause any problems further down the line:

Zone 1 heating + hot water - Tado extension kit with Tado thermostat (wired or wireless)

I would be looking to extend live & neutral from the existing ESI thermostat

Zone 2 heating - existing ESI thermostat set to always on with Tado thermostat (wired)

Any feedback on the above solution would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The 'Standard Way' you refer to is actually a 'semi-bodge' that would work with a combi boiler that doesn't need timed hot water control.

As you have worked out, the wiring for the hot water control is not present at the room thermostat. So the Zone 1 heating and hot water Tado would have to replace the ESi programmer.

You then have the added complication in that the Zone 2 heating is also wired to same ESi programmer using the third channel. This Zone would need to be disconnected from the ESi and rewired to the Zone 2 heating Tado.

Unfortunately, there is no set method of installing the interconnecting wiring. It will vary from installation to installation depending upon the layout of the heating system controls inside your home and the personal preferences of the installer, so it is not really possible to give specific advise over a forum without being present in person and able to trace and test wires and connections physically.

This is not an easy exchange and would need to be undertaken by someone skilled who would be able to look at the existing installation and work out the function of every wire before proceeding.

Sorry to hijack an old thread but my question is related to the above post. I have moved into a new property which has a WB system boiler and a WB unvented cylinder. CH is controlled by two ESI wired controls connected to 2 separate zone valves, and HW timing is controlled by a separate ESI wired controller to its own zone valve.

My previous home had Evohome control which I am not looking to replicate in my present home. My wife and I are both seniors and she would struggle with it if I wasn’t around to deal with any problems. I also think that Evohome is ripe for redesign/development. My ‘research’ has pointed me towards Tado. I believe that my options are as follows (assuming that I just leave the HW timer/zone valve in situ as is):

1. Replace both ESI ESRT4 thermostats with Tado thermostats. Am I correct in thinking that this would be a simple one for one replacement using the existing wiring?

2. Replace one of the ESI controls with Tado and all manual TRVs with motorised/smart TRV heads. The second ESI control would be set at a high temperature to keep the zone valve open.

Cost and complexity wise, each option has its advanatages and disadvantages. Is it doable for the average DIYer, or should I consider the Tado install option? Finally, does anyone have knowledge of how noisy/intrusive the Tado TRV heads are compared to the Honeywell HR92s?

Given my concerns about ‘problem solving’ in the future, I am tending towards Option 1. I have also looked at Nest 3 and I am not sure that it is a simple install. My boiler is in a utility room that sits below the airing cupboard which contains the unvented cylinder; zone valves; HW timer etc.

Grateful for any thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back