Nest Thermostat (3rd Gen) - Dual Zone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have same system on a new build, which I am trying to install install Tado on one floor only. The downstairs are all manual valves so hope to keep them on the original ESI thermostat. However upstairs I wish to change to Tado using the wireless receiver.

Is there any problem powering the receiver from the 230V and using COM->RH, NC->+V, NO->OV at the low voltage section of the board?

Moderators note

Other information can be found in https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ith-nest-thermostat-3rd-gen-dual-zone.604774/

But please keep each user's problems separate

Attachments

• 20231210_160947.jpg
    20231210_160947.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231210_160934.jpg
    20231210_160934.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Is there any problem powering the receiver from the 230V and using COM->RH, NC->+V, NO->OV at the low voltage section of the board?

As in your second diagram....

Screenshot_20231210-170032_Chrome.jpg

there shouldn't be a problem.
However, it would be best to run two separate cables - one carrying the mains supply and the other, the (extra) low voltage one; don't get them mixed up, or as in your first diagram - boom! :)

Just a word of caution - so far, you have been the only person to keep one of the ESI thermostats.
Again, theoretically, having a mixed system shouldn't be a problem, but as no-one has yet tried it, keep an eye out for any strange behaviour from the original stat.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Been trying to work out this system for a couple of days before coming across your post!

Sponsored Links
All seems to be working from the initial test!
I'll watch it closely but both seem to be able to work independently. Downstairs works on the original thermostat controlling all radiators. Upstairs is working on the tado wireless reciever and smart valves.

Tado said they are not compatible with the ESI system but they wouldn't explain what the conflict was.

Glad to help :)
Please let us know how you get on.

All seems to be working from the initial test!
I'll watch it closely but both seem to be able to work independently.
Brilliant - well done! :)

Tado said they are not compatible with the ESI system but they wouldn't explain what the conflict was.
It's definitely not Tado's fault.
I doubt any thermostat manufacturer would say that their systems were compatible with the proprietary connections on the ESI - even though, now we know that the solution is so simple!
Even the zone valves could be converted with an appropriate change of connector!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back