Chalet Bungalow - Whats the best sort of insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a chalet bunglow and have recently had the loft space floor insulated with rockwool (not rolls but the particle type) courtesy of british gas.

However the reverse side of the plaster board walls and the angled ceiling is un-insulated (the green and blue lines) im wondering what the best solution would be to do this?

Would foil be the best solution stapled to the joists on the other side of the plasterboard (green lines) and maybe polysterene sheets pushed into gaps between the slats between the angled roof (blue lines)
XwW1Xt3.png

Sponsored Links
So put plaster board on the back of the joists that are loft facing (green areas)

What about the blue areas - the joists pretty much to7ch the roof lining

The best way would involve pulling the plasterboard off in both the green and blue areas. In the green areas filling between the timbers to full depth with celotex/kingspan and in the blue areas leaving a 50mm gap between the roof and the top of the celotex/kingspan. You then cover the lot with insulated plasterboard.

As you are limited in the depth of the celotex/kingspan in the blue areas you might want to use an insulating plasterboard with a thicker layer of insulation on it.

It will make a massive difference to the warmth of the room however, and with the way energy prices are going got to be worth it in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue in my chalet bungalow and was wondering if you have managed to sort yours. I was wondering if I could lift roof tiles and king span from the outside instead of ripping the original plasterboard?

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Will.

I have exactly the same issue in my chalet bungalow and was wondering if you have managed to sort yours. I was wondering if I could lift roof tiles and king span from the outside instead of ripping the original plasterboard?

you could, but you'd also have to remove the battens and re-felt, and I can't see that being less hassle than the dust from trying to carefully cut/remove the boards in large chunks from the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back