Champagne...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Who began the champers spraying celebration following a motor racing podium?
The year? The venue? The vehicle?

Does that first bottle still exist? Where?

:D :D

Sponsored Links
Dunno but considering what the idea simulates - shake, shake and shoot - I honestly don't know how or why it continues.

It was probably a driver too scared to say this tastes like pish how am i going to get rid of it... Iknow i will spray it over everyone. Got to be the most over rated drin k ever

Sponsored Links
24 hr Le Mans.
Winner Ford GT40 Av spd 136 mph
Drivers Gurney and Foyt, 'chalk' and 'cheese' the former from F1, latter from US oval racing... The duo were 'least likely to succeed' - it was said.
The 40ins 'road to roof' GT - legend - was created.

DG said:
"...Henry Ford was up there with his wife and entourage, and below was a sea of lenses. Everyone sensed it was a particularly special victory," Gurney says. "You get one of these big bottles of champagne, and I thought, "This is so terrific, there's something I could do. How about sharing it with the photographers? They probably wouldn't mind if they had a taste, a little part of the moment."

"I was beyond caring, and I just got caught up in the moment. It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments where things turned out to be right. You don't re-create those moments, but a hard-fought victory needs something."

Inspired, Gurney shook the bottle and let the gusher flow and a new tradition was born.
Gurney signed the bottle label for the final holder... A photographer friend. In true diy style he turned the bottle into a table lamp, I guess that pretty much ensured it's longevity...
In recent years the bottle has been returned to Dan Gurney he retains it.

It was as innocuous as that.

Watched by millions today, the history known by relatively few... A few more now.

:cool:

Back