Storm grows in 4X4 row.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Western Daily Press said:
Taxpayers will have to shell out millions of pounds if they want to stop off-road drivers riding roughshod through the West countryside, councils warned last night.
Rights of Way officers in the region say they have been flooded with applications to open up green lanes to motorcyclists and 4x4s.

LINK

26. Under current law, evidence of use by non-mechanically propelled vehicles of a route for a 20 year period or a dedication for such use gives rise to a public right of way for all vehicles. This is recorded on the definitive map and statement as a byway open to all traffic. In the 2004 case of Bakewell the House of Lords decided that a right of way may arise where mechanically propelled vehicles have used a route for the 20-year period, even where that use is illegal.
27. The Bill's provisions provide that illegal use of a route by a non-mechanically propelled vehicle will not give rise to a new public right of way. It also extinguishes certain unrecorded rights of way that have arisen through illegal use, and prevents their being recorded on the definitive map and statement.

Never mind Iraq, battle lines are much closer to home.
Who is gonna get fat on all this? And who is gonna pay for it?
:D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Would a bicycle be mechanically propelled or non-mechanically propelled? I suspect the latter, as the power source is human legs. I have seen people cycle up and down Snowdon on the Llangberis pass, and no doubt this has happened for more than 20 years.

Anyone want to bet on how likely it is I can drive a front-wheel drive family hatch to the top? :LOL:

What a BIG JOKE ....

From what I see of the owners of these ugly nasty sheds-on-wheels,they are so weak an fibble looking an have to jump up to get in these "little penis =big car "wagons ....(an thats just the women owners ,lol)
I doubt many will take their lump of metal near a grass kerb let alone off road ...
next time your driving look at the sorry excuse of human that drives these dustbin lorries (the ****/crap is in the back seat ,lol)

all pasty faced an scrawny ....a typical bullied kid car

Sponsored Links
Eddie, you gonna take that? :LOL:

Moz, this is about those who take their 4x4s offroad, not the Sloane Rangers. Now, whether or not off-roading is an environmentally-friendly past-time (it isn't, but it does look like fun!), they are certainly using the cars in the manner intended and a Ford Focus definitely wouldn't be a viable alternative. These will be off-road 4x4s, not a BMW X5 in sight (if you drive one of those off-road it can buckle), or any of the other "soft-roaders".

I'm not denying that d*ckheads are over-represented by 4x4 drivers, I agree that there are a lot of people who drive these vehicles very badly on the roads. Just thought I should point out this is about off-road routes. :D

No, but 4x4 bashing seems to be very fashionable these days ! I just drive a real one (even off road sometimes), and intimidate corsa drivers ! :LOL:

AdamW

sorry for the rant but the times I see bad drivers men an women in these big tanks driving on the roads

some Ive seen closing their eyes an driving through narrow traffic ,lol

I really really wish some of these cretins=4x4 drivers do go "off road"up , a mountain permantly ...lol

Eddie M
by chance are you an Estate Agent or Lawyer or a ver middle manager (David Brent style ,lol) by chance

I must respect you if your tires have actually touched cow pats ,lol

Moz, I do in excess of 90,000 miles a year, and 90% of drivers I see don't have a blessed clue, not just 4x4 drivers.

Some of the worst are spotty anchors in Corsa, Punto's, Cinquechencho's?, and other mini type cars that think they can sit in the fast lane of motorways and hold up following traffic. Then there is the Middle lane morons who think it's OK to block the middle lane as their brain is too small to comprehend 3 lanes...

4x4 drivers can be a pain, especially with female drivers who seem to be lacking in any spacial awareness, but then many men suffer this affliction in whatever they drive.

Te fact is driving standards have fallen in the 21 years since I passed my test, and I fear they have not hit bottom yet!!

FWL_Engineer
I also do many miles in a week ...an like you Its the frustation (it aint like that old clicker game ,lol)

Motorway drivers are a different breed , we have the middle lane hog who with most lorries /salesman ...(suit hung up an salesmen motors , middle range fords ,Vauxhall)

they do the rolling speed block ... that the old bill do ,forcing cars near to 1st gear in the 1st lane , after 4 miles they get the message ... well done those truck/salesmen drivers ....(these guys NEED the motorway for food on a plate ..)

regarding standards the old driving test was very hard , one bad look an not correct manovere then

SORRY ... RETURN TO THE TEST STATION YOUR HAVE FAILED..MR MOZ

Come on, that is BS. Auto Express once did a survey where the question was "do you think the driving test should be made harder?". Most drivers said "Yes". The second question was "in this case, do you think you should be tested against the new higher standard?", almost every driver said "No". Everyone always thinks they are better. I read another survey where 80% of male drivers said they were a better-than-average driver :LOL:

I passed my test in 1997. I learned the correct way to drive a modern car. Most older drivers I know don't seem to be able to make full use of a 5-speed box, either staying in too low a gear and not making use of the wide power-band of a modern engine, or leaving it in 4th until they are at 70+mph because they didn't have 5 gears back then.

Theory test used to be a couple of questions about the stopping distance from 40mph, as an afterthought to the practical test. Now it is a proper test in itself. Much better idea. Can you tell me what a Puffin crossing or a Toucan crossing is, without looking it up on the internet? I know what they are, they were in my theory test!

I doubt there has really been a drop in driving standards, just an increase in traffic density and driving stress. On quieter roads, rubbish observational skills and a lack of courtesy are little problem compared to those same inabilities on a crowded motorway. If you cram idiots into a tight space, there will be more problems than if you just have one idiot.

AdamW said:
Can you tell me what a Puffin crossing or a Toucan crossing is, without looking it up on the internet? I know what they are, they were in my theory test!
One's a crossing for smokers and the other for drunks?

Moz said:
AdamW

sorry for the rant but the times I see bad drivers men an women in these big tanks driving on the roads

some Ive seen closing their eyes an driving through narrow traffic ,lol

I really really wish some of these cretins=4x4 drivers do go "off road"up , a mountain permantly ...lol

Eddie M
by chance are you an Estate Agent or Lawyer or a ver middle manager (David Brent style ,lol) by chance

I must respect you if your tires have actually touched cow pats ,lol

My tyres have indeed touched cow s**t several times, in fact my kids love nothing more than taking the 4x4 through the ford (which is approached by what is affectionately know as cow s**t lane), and watching the water wash over the car. No I'm not really any of the above occupations, just a country boy.

AdamW

the Driving Test WAS harder in the 70/80s, FACT
Most instructors were ex Traffic Pcs , an the examiners were ex police Traffic Inspectors...

I passed 1st time an was in a state of shock as my examiner Mr Grier was well known around our area as a stickler for CORRECTNESS

when the instructor put you up for the EXAM it was his reputation on the line ...

you were not allowed to talk to examiner on the test ,
it was very austere ... he was God ... he would give you clear precise commands if you missed them he would say , "Return To The Test Centre"

On the in car Questions he would fire stopping distances at you if you fumbled he would "Shake His Head " Tut, an say the "Exam is Finished .."
on road signs he would have a flick card that he flicked over ,every 5 seconds ,Saying "What is this ?" "And this " And This " an so on .. again If you stumbled he would slam the book shut an fail you ...

So dont Dare say the new Test is wosre than old days ...
in the early 80s the Govt allowed any old "Tom Dick Harry " be a Instructor an the old GOOD examiners were phased out as too strict ...

Eddie M

an I thought my life souless an sad

"in fact my kids love nothing more than taking the 4x4 through the ford (which is approached by what is affectionately know as cow s**t lane), and watching the water wash over the car"

only kidding btw which car/tractor have you ?
dont say a frontiera PLEASE..lol

I agree with Moz over the driving test. Of course the theory test has made somethings better, but not always in the right way.

How many people here stop to let pedestrians cross when there is an island in the middle of the road and the pavements have dropped curbs?

The law is that this is as much a pedestrian crossing as a zebra or pelican is and as such you are obliged to stop, but even the Police ignore this one.

I do not consider myself as any form of driver other than adequate, I make mistakes when driving, like everyone, the key to KNOWING you made a mistake and being more careful to ensure you don't repeat this mistake again or too often at least.

In the 21 years I have been driving, I have personally drove well over 2 million miles, and in this time been involved in 3 serious accidents and 7 minor ones. One of the serious accidents was early in my driving and was partly my fault for driving too fast, and partly a trucks fault as he failed to spot me and pulled out, I was unable to stop and it cost the company a hire car, me three weeks in hospital with two broken legs and six weeks off work. The second serious accident occured in October 1998 when a disqualified driver on drugs went through a Red light and pushed me 108 feet back along the Embankment near Savoy Place and the final one was in 2002 when a drunk driver went through a red light, hit another vehicle and hit me, waiting in traffic, at almost 50 mph. I was almost killed, he was. I spent 11 weeks in hospital, 4 in a coma.

None of the other accidents have been my fault as they all involve people hitting me from the rear or hitting me when stationary.

I do not believe that because I have not been the cause of an accident it makes me anything special as a driver, however i do KNOW that standards have fallen, and continue to fall they will so long as unqualified people are allowed to teach people how to drive.

Moz said:
AdamW

the Driving Test WAS harder in the 70/80s, FACT
Most instructors were ex Traffic Pcs , an the examiners were ex police Traffic Inspectors...

I passed 1st time an was in a state of shock as my examiner Mr Grier was well known around our area as a stickler for CORRECTNESS

when the instructor put you up for the EXAM it was his reputation on the line ...

you were not allowed to talk to examiner on the test ,
it was very austere ... he was God ... he would give you clear precise commands if you missed them he would say , "Return To The Test Centre"

On the in car Questions he would fire stopping distances at you if you fumbled he would "Shake His Head " Tut, an say the "Exam is Finished .."
on road signs he would have a flick card that he flicked over ,every 5 seconds ,Saying "What is this ?" "And this " And This " an so on .. again If you stumbled he would slam the book shut an fail you ...

So dont Dare say the new Test is wosre than old days ...
in the early 80s the Govt allowed any old "Tom Dick Harry " be a Instructor an the old GOOD examiners were phased out as too strict ...

Eddie M

an I thought my life souless an sad

"in fact my kids love nothing more than taking the 4x4 through the ford (which is approached by what is affectionately know as cow s**t lane), and watching the water wash over the car"

only kidding btw which car/tractor have you ?
dont say a frontiera PLEASE..lol

Landcruiser Amazon

Sponsored Links
Back