Chandlier - Bulb fails to lock & stay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bulb in my chandelier will not stay in, it keeps spinning and not latching into the lock mechanism, its metal and i don;t know if i can get this repaired? something i can do?

the shop i purchased it from has closed down...

Any assistance?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Photo please. There are about a hundred different sorts of lampholders. Hard to advise unless we know what sort of lamp you are talking about.

As Taylor says, but in the meantime, if it's an older (and probably brass) chandelier the lamp holders work lose over the years so when you try to twist in the lamp the holder moves instead. Tightening up the screw collar which holds in the lampholder will probably solve it, but there could be a problem lurking beneath this - repeated turning of the holder failing to get the lamp in means the wiring underneath gets twisted, sometimes to the point where it can break or pull out of its terminals. At the very least the lamp can stop working, at worst it can short out the whole chandelier or make it live. Had one of these last year which made itself known through "tingles" when the user touched the metal light switch.

PJ

Did the circuit have a cpc, or was there only a connection between the body of the light and the switch faceplate? :eek:

Sponsored Links
here is the picture, i have been twisting the bulb in now that it doesn't come on at all, whats my best option to get it sorted? the shop i purchased it from is closed down....

is it repairable?

IMG00149-20110330-2040.jpg

IMG00148-20110330-2040.jpg

The wiring will need a check to make sure it's not twisted to the point of strangulation, once thats sorted a few dabs of plastic metal or araldite glue will keep the holder held in place.

Or possibly soldering.

Or reinstatement of whatever original way it was held in place.

Basically it needs someone with mechanical nous to take it apart, see what's up, and devise a way of fixing it.

I fear, though, that someone who has to ask is it repairable and can I do it does not have sufficient mechanical nous - almost by definition anyone who did would have had it off the ceiling and dismantled by now....

Or possibly soldering.

Or reinstatement of whatever original way it was held in place.

Basically it needs someone with mechanical nous to take it apart, see what's up, and devise a way of fixing it.

I fear, though, that someone who has to ask is it repairable and can I do it does not have sufficient mechanical nous - almost by definition anyone who did would have had it off the ceiling and dismantled by now....

Have you forgotten that this is a DIY forum where people should be able to ask questions, gain the knowledge needed to do the job?

Were you born rude or did you work really hard at it? :evil:

Have you forgotten that this is a DIY forum where people should be able to ask questions, gain the knowledge needed to do the job?
What knowledge, of practical use in fixing that light can someone gain here when it hasn't even occurred to them to take it down and have a look?

Were you born rude or did you work really hard at it? :evil:
Realistic, not rude - it's to nobody's benefit to follow paths of delusion.

You're a handyman - what's your honest appraisal of the likely innate mechanical/manipulative/diagnostical skills of someone who doesn't know himself if he can fix a wonky lampholder and won't even take the first step to find out what's wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back