Change conservatory glazed panels to brick wall

wab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Anyone with advice on the following? Is it feasible?

I have a conservatory at the rear of my house with double glazed glass panels right to floor and a polycarbonate roof, in which I want to instal a wood burning stove. To prevent any problems with the flue going through the polycarbonate roof I want to remove one complete side of the conservatory (glazed panels) and replace it with a cavity brick wall to match the exterior wall of the house. In the wall I propose to build a small inglenook for the stove, with the flue going straight up through the top of the inglenook. The flue can then take a 45 degree bend to the rear wall of the house and be secured to it and rise above the eaves of the house.

I would like the inner skin of the cavity to support the exisiting roof. In that way I don't lose a lot of floor space in the conservatory.

1. How do I seal the top of the cavity as it will outside the polycarbonate roof? Can I do it with concrete tiles tucked in beneath the polycarbonate roof, or something like that?

2. How do I 'roof' the top of the inglenook where the flue will come through? Concrete tiles? Lead flashing sheet?

Thanks in advance for any suggetsions.

Walter

Sponsored Links
I would like the inner skin of the cavity to support the exisiting roof. In that way I don't lose a lot of floor space in the conservatory.

The above proposal plus the fact the foundations may not be suitable leans towards you having a new extension built.

It's one thing putting lipstick on a pig, but why throw good money after bad? Granted, the found's may be ok, but the roof will be useless.

More and more people are having connies built without thinking through what they actually want from a connie. We only use ours for 6 or 7 months of the year. We have an extension on the side which we had built to use all year round.

You may even be moving into planning permission territory, the conservatory may not have needed it but what you intend may make it a "permanent building" which does.

Speak to planning.

Sponsored Links
hi folks

Spoke to building control dept. and they say that to install a wood burning stove changes the conservatory into permanent use and is regarded as an extension. Because of its size it does not require planning permission (falls within permitted development) but is subject to building control regulations. That entails upgrading floor insulation and glass upgrade to K glass.

Thanks for your all your help

WAB

....and it will involve digging inspection holes to test the suitability of the existing found's to carry the extra loads.

This could be your banana skin and if unsuitable would mean complete demolition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back