Change fridge water dispenser pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Moved into a new house and there is a pipe running from a connection below a guest bedroom sink (in ceiling above) to where the fridge goes. Having connected our fridge the water pressure appears to be too low for the water to reach the dispenser in the fridge and the ice machine (pressure was reading around 3psi). Having spoken to a plumber he suggested changing the pipe to a 15mm pipe and connecting that to the fridge instead.

As you can see in the photo below, the small white pipe that leads off the T and disappears bottom right of the photo goes to the fridge. It's approximately 3 metres to the fridge and I'm guessing that is why it's losing too much pressure.

If I use 15mm FloPlast pipe will that improve the pressure enough to supply the fridge? Any guesses? Also, will something like FloPlast connect to the white plastic T shown in the photo and if not what would be the best way to connect a new flexible pipe to that system (removing the small white plastic pipe).

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Fix the wiring on the extractor fan before you do anything else.

The fridge needs potable water, that is water fit to drink, direct from the mains.

The fact that that pipe is connected to to a pump suggests it is NOT directly from the mains supply and is therefore unlikely to be potable water.

If it is not potable water then there will be a risk to health if the water or ice from the fridge is used in drinks.

Also the electrical wiring to that extractor fan needs to be re-done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bernardgreen. I think the T is before the pump though so I believe it is potable water, not after the pump. It's the cold water supply to the pump as far as I understand it.

Edit: Will fix the wiring on the extractor

It appears that your water pressure is so low that a booster pump is necessary to supply pressure. But that pump type only kicks in when a flow is detected and your fridge pipework simply doesn't produce enough flow to activate the pump. Your fridge should/may have a filter in the water feed line so there is every possibility that it is choked and requires replacing. Once you've changed the filter (if there is one) and you still have the problem, try turning on a tap that produces sufficient flow to start the pump then whilst it's running see how the fridge outlet performs.
Also suggest you get yourself a plumber who knows something about flow and pressure. 3psi equates to around 6feet of head which also suggests your water is coming from a header tank. Fridge and freezer water is for drinking and should come direct from the mains supply - not the hot/cold feed pump for a shower.

Edit Last sentence preceded during writing by others

I think the T is before the pump though so I believe it is potable water, not after the pump. It's the cold water supply to the pump as far as I understand it.

That supply to the pump is probably coming from a tank in the loft, which will be full of dead mice etc.
Or it might not be - see where it comes from.

(pressure was reading around 3psi).

Unless you live at the top of a very high hill the incoming water pressure in the mains will be more than 3 PSI From memory the water supply company must provide a minimum supply pressure of 0.7 bar which is approx 10 PSI. Hence I suspect that cold supply is from a header tank.

Thanks Jackrae. The pump only starts when the upstairs shower is turned on. If you just use the upstairs sink then it doesn't start and the pressure is relatively poor but still useable. There is a filter in the fridge and it is full of water so the water is getting to the fridge, there just isn't quite enough pressure to get it up to the dispenser (it does actually get there, water just trickles out though).

I may be wrong but from my understanding of it the cold water in the house comes from the header tank, and the feed from that T is before the pump not after it.

I'm away at the moment but when I'm home on Saturday I'll be able to confirm that that is the case.

Aaah, bit slow off the mark there. I'll have to run it from the kitchen tap instead as that should be from the mains whereas all the other taps are from the header tank?

The small bore pipe can be 20m in length with mains pressure you will still get a good pressure at fridge.

Great thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to take it from the pipe leading to the kitchen sink so should be direct from mains with better pressure. Appreciate all the comments and help. I'll be back on soon I expect with a photo of the kitchen sink connections asking how to do it...!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back