Change Living Room Light/ Kitchen stops working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I replaced a light fitting in my living room.

I took photos of the wiring and replaced like for like (live to live etc.)

Turned the power back on the new socket works great.

But now the lights in the kitchen don’t work. At all. Changed one of the bulbs to see if they had blown. The new bulb didn’t work either.

How is that possible? Could it be the live m and the neutral have become switched along the ring somewhere?

Sponsored Links
I took photos of the wiring and replaced like for like (live to live etc.)
Ok. Are you sure?

Turned the power back on the new socket works great.
What socket?

But now the lights in the kitchen don’t work. At all.
If you are certain you wired it exactly like it was before, then one of the wires is not making contact with what it should be.

Could it be the live m and the neutral have become switched along the ring somewhere?
How could that be? You said you wired it the same as it was before.

It's not a ring.

100% sure I changed like for like.

IMG_8656.jpeg

That’s the existing wiring of the previous light socket. I took this photo before disconnecting. I wired the new socket in using the same connections.

But something isn’t right.

For example, the previous light fitting had 5 bulbs. I could only get one to light up at a time. When one bulb blew, a different one would kick in.

100% sure I changed like for like.

View attachment 312503

That’s the existing wiring of the previous light socket. I took this photo before disconnecting. I wired the new socket in using the same connections.

But something isn’t right.

For example, the previous light fitting had 5 bulbs. I could only get one to light up at a time. When one bulb blew, a different one would kick in.
There should be three red wires in a connector block. Probably in the ceiling void. Perhaps a red wire has become loose, causing the kitchen light not to work.

Also, there may be some earth wires pushed up in the ceiling void too. You will need these, if your new light requires an earth connection.

Sponsored Links
Twin and earth cable is available as two browns, but it is common to over sleeve a blue, and for the sleeves to fall off. So cable colours don't help, and since 1966 all fixed wiring must have an earth, it seems the earth is missing.

I do have lighting sockets Ceiling rose.jpg but what you show does not look like a lighting socket, and the ring final is only really done with the 13 amp sockets which will only take a plug with a fuse, lighting is rarely done as a ring.

I use a meter Testing for live.jpg it makes life easy, not saying you can't work without a meter, but it does make it a lot harder, what have you got to test with.

Double checked the wiring. Earthed, wired as original and firmly.

But what can the connection be between the living room and the kitchen?

There is no incoming earth conductor in your picture.
You state above " Earthed", what exactly do you mean by that ?
There may be other wiring connections in the ceiling ,above the connector in your pic, that you may have disturbed. Have you looked ?

A wire (usually) runs from the consumer unit taking power to the light in nearest room then to another room and so on to all rooms.

This, with the switch wires, (usually) results in three Red or Brown wires being connected together at each light position.

As said, in your case, likely above the ceiling.

Double checked the wiring. Earthed, wired as original and firmly.

Have you found three red wires tucked up in the ceiling void yet???

If they are there, it's possible you have disturbed them, if they were badly connected.

Checked all the connections again.

With the power on at the mains, I can confirm power on both the live and neutral on both sides of the connection box (wire from the ceiling side and wire to the light).

I’ve read they might all be on the same circuit as in, power from the mains to the hall light - working. But there may be an issue between the hall light to the living room. Subsequently, the lights in the kitchen have stopped working as there is no power reaching them.

But if I have live and neutral working to the light, how is the bulb not working? Could it be the switch?

With the power on at the mains, I can confirm power on both the live and neutral on both sides of the connection box (wire from the ceiling side and wire to the light).

I’ve read they might all be on the same circuit as in, power from the mains to the hall light - working. But there may be an issue between the hall light to the living room. Subsequently, the lights in the kitchen have stopped working as there is no power reaching them.

But if I have live and neutral working to the light, how is the bulb not working? Could it be the switch

Answering the questions that have been asked would help us to help you.

With the power on at the mains, I can confirm power on both the live and neutral
What instrument have you used to establish " power" ?
You would need to measure voltages present ,and I suspect you haven't !

How many times do I have to ask this?

IS THERE A BUNCH OR RED WIRES AT THE LOUNGE LIGHT FITTING PUSHED UP IN THE CEILING VOID???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back