Change of layout: Toilet wastepipe route & UK Building r

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m working on a new layout for my flat and need to move the toilet (see diagram) The problem is that moving the toilet means that the soil stack (red box) would be on the opposite side of the building. The joist run back to front (left to right on diagram) making running the toilet waste pipe out to the soil stack tricky.

Would it be acceptable in terms of UK building regs to run the toilet waste pipe (red line) under the floor boards from the toilet and then mounted and boxed-in on the wall in the stairwell to exit the building from there?

(Top floor flat. Steps go down ..exit on floor below)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Not over that kind of distance, no - the maximum permissible run of 110mm soil pipe is six metres

Thanks Andrew

I had a feeling it wasn't going to work. I've adapted the plans so the waste pipe clears the stairwell and runs with the joist and keeps to 6m distance.. does it look ok to you now?

thanks for your help

[code:1][/code:1]

Looks like 6.5 metres to me but I'll take your word for it ;)

The other thing to ensure, especially for a run of this length, is that you can get the correct fall on the pipe. Aim for 45mm fall for every metre of length. That means that for a 6m run it needs to fall 270mm

Sponsored Links
I've got a bit of leeway with diagonals I think ;) cheers for the advice mate. Take it easy ;)

Not over that kind of distance, no - the maximum permissible run of 110mm soil pipe is six metres

Hi Andrew
Can I check one thing with you? If I alter the first plan we discussed (see attached) so the toilet pipe travels 3.5m to exit the building and then instead of continuing horizontal to the soil stack, it goes vertically down 3m an then another 3.5 horizontal to the soil stack, will that be OK?

Or is it strictly 6m before it must enter the soil stack?

thanks

Have you got space for an Air Admittance Valve in the toilet? If so you won't be restricted by the length of the pipe.

Have you got space for an Air Admittance Valve in the toilet? If so you won't be restricted by the length of the pipe.

Thanks for getting back to me.. It's on the top floor of a 4 story block and it's a flat. Would that still work.? Otherwise there is room for one yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back