Change of window size after planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, I wondered if anyone can help me? We have got planning permission for a garage conversion (permitted development rights were removed when estate built so had to apply). In the planning application we put a three pane window in the design. We are now hoping to change it to a two pane window. Are we able to do this or wd we have to reapply for the planning permission?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
No expert but you might need to apply for a variation?
simple thing is just to email and ask the planning authority.

Thank you for replying. Hoping it will be ok to make the change but we will see!

Sponsored Links
Have attached a photo of the drawing the architect did if that helps.

Attachments

• BB2838B7-6DF2-4379-9C79-79F3EB4A6BDF.jpeg
    BB2838B7-6DF2-4379-9C79-79F3EB4A6BDF.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 96
It will be a smaller. Will be the same size as the window in the office instead of slightly bigger as in the drawing

Personally I think matching is more aesthetically pleasing, the council “could” decide that you need more light? But I doubt it

Yes I agree. I think it was because it is an inner room so the architect said it needed to be an Egress window. The builder has said we can use a window the same size as the office and put special hinges on it so it cd be escaped from if needed.
When I looked at the plans today I realised that the window was bigger in the drawings sent for planning permission. It wd be better being smaller as we cd then fit more bedroom furniture in it.

It’s a non material amendment so would’ve thought it needs a variation, which I believe means submitting new drawings and another public consultation period of 4 weeks min.

personally I’d just go ahead and fit a different window.

Planning are only concerned with the visual appearance. Not how much light you get, not whether it's an escape window

The permission seems to be for "a window" and a smaller window of the same overall design will not alter the look of the house to any significant degree so would be covered by the permission

Thank you for your replies. First time doing this so want to get it right!

Just crack on Becky. First risk is whether the LPA knock on your door? The risk of that is vanishingly small. If they did actually knock on your door - what then? It will be one of two things; they'll either do nothing or they will ask you to resubmit. Second risk, if they did ask you to re-submit, is there a chance they might not approve the resubmitted plan? There is no chance of that so the risk is also nil. Neither of these will happen for a minor alteration to a non-critical window and worst case is you resubmit if they do kick up a fuss, which they won't.

I submitted plans for extensions, some windows on the plan were not fitted, some were moved from original position or redesigned completely, not a problem .

Thank you. I think we are just going to go for it. I appreciate all your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back