Change Pull Cord for Automatic Sensor Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first time posting on this forum so I hope it’s in the right place!

I’ve got an old pull cord switch in my bathroom that activates the light and an extractor fan. I’d like to change it to an IR automatic sensor that I bought.

I’m pretty ok with DIY and basic wiring but this has me stumped! Can anyone provide me with any advice on how to wire the new sensor using the existing wiring for the light/extractor.

I am ok with the actual fitting it is purely the wiring I am hoping one of you kind people can help with.

Thanks in advance!!!

7ZKFEdU.jpg

6phf5PV.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are there no instructions with sensor? I looked for sensors looking like yours, and it seems there is no standard colour code, so need the sensor instructions. I will guess you need a neutral but without a name, and part number near impossible to find any info.

The PIR requires a neutral connection. There is no neutral connection at the switch.

You have three choices
1. Rewire the switch to include a neutral
2. Buy a PIR that does not require a neutral
3. Wonder if doing this is pointless, as you won’t be able to sit on the pot and play Candy Crush for more than a few minutes without the room being plunged into darkness.

Our gents loo in a brand new building has two urinals and a single cubicle
It's very energy saving in design, so there is a PIR that activates on entry and stays on while you have a pee and wash your hands. Then after 3 mins it goes off.
But if you go for a carp then you're hidden from the sensor

Sponsored Links
Brown Live,
Blue Neutral, which you do NOT have
Red Switch live output

If it is in the bathroom then hopefully you can access the neutral from above?
Looks like an artex ceiling but don't panic

2 reds and 1 brown suggests to me that you may have the neutral connections lurking behind the base, the single brown seems a bit suspect, if its T +E it should be earthed, at least at one end, if the Blue cores unused you maybe able to bring a Neutral back from the fan.

Does this fan have a Timer, a pic of the connections there may help..
Its hard to tell if the Brown is a permanent live or a switched live to the the fan, the fan could possibly also connect to the light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back