Change radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i need to replace a rad, 700 width by 600 height, single panel.
There are identical valves on both sides so how do i tell which end to fit a thermostat to?

also what are good quality radiators and where to buy? I bought one previously and felt it was very poor quality. You could see rivet or weld marks under the paint. Screwfix do one for £33 inc thermo and valve but not sure what the quality is like.

also im struggling to undo the right hand valve. It is anti clockwise to undo? Was quoted £260 to replace which i could do without paying.

Sponsored Links
There are identical valves on both sides so how do i tell which end to fit a thermostat to?
Doesnt matter which side with modern TRVs. good practice to put on the flow but doesnt really matter, the flow is the pipe that gets hot first
Screwfix do one for £33 inc thermo and valve but not sure what the quality is like.
Most radiators are all the same these days, have a look at Toolstation too, they are really cheap, rads are measured by height then length, so yours is a 600 x 700

Both tool station and Screwfix sell the same brand, both are kudox. Nothing wrong with them,

I used to like Barlow until they went bust.

Stelrad is good, along with any of there subsidiary s.

Myson are good. But expensive.

1. If you are paying £33 for a radiator, thermostatic valve and lock shield valve, what do you think the quality is going to be like.
2. A Drayton TRV4 and lock shield are around £25 on their own. Leaves £8 for the radiator.
3. If you are replacing exactly like for like (same width, same depth from wall to pipe centres), its pretty straightforward. Change the width or the pipe stand off from the wall and its gets more complicated.
4. The valves to both sides have normal threads, so do up and undo in the normal way.

Sponsored Links
I dont want to move the pipes i want a like for like but semms new radiators look different. So 2 responses so far. One saying all the same and buy from toolstation/screwfix and the other implying not.
A95A81A7-1608-4FF3-A308-31C420CA23AA.jpeg

Nothing wrong with Screwfix / Toolstation - perfectly adequate radiators. However, I would question the quality of valves on the quoted inclusive price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back