Changes to landscaping on reserved matters and approval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I self-built a house in Lincolnshire which I finished 2 years ago. In the reserved matters there were two items saying the usual thing that one has to submit plans for landscaping, specifying plant types, layout etc. and that the landscaping had to be completed within a period of time. I submitted my plans and they were approved.

There were no TPOs or special restrictions like on a conservation area. The village and road are pretty ordinary.

When the credit crunch came I changed my mind about the landscaping and simplified it to reduce costs, the plants were not planted, I replaced the front drive surface from block to gravel and reduced the size of the front fence. Even with the changes, it is still the nicest landscaping of many houses around it and I did it in keeping with the character of the area, for instance many houses have gravel drives. My layout is the same as on the submitted plans I just changed materials and did not spend money on shrubs and the like.

I did not re-submit my landscaping because I was told that we would have to pay the fee again and there would be a wait that would delay us. Also, local people told us that the council did not bother to go around checking the landscaping and causing people trouble. None of the neighbours has complained, and believe me there are some real NIMBYs in the area.

Now the thing is I am selling the house and the buyer's solicitors are asking me if we complied with the reserved matters. I have not answered but I am going to instruct my solicitor to tell the other solicitor some of the above, as he recommends we write it. I also know that the buyers are desperate to move into their new fancy house.

I know that if we were to re-submit the landscaping plans the Council would approve them but why open a can of worms and waste money and time? What is the worst thing that can happen? Is there a limit on the things you can change before you have to re-submit your plans?

Sponsored Links
Time limit wise there would be a long way to go before you could claim immunity from potential enforcement action. The worst scenario that could arise is the Authority could serve a Breach of Condition Notice requiring works to be carried out to accord with the original landscaping. There would be no right of appeal, but unless the works you have undertaken are so significant that the Council considers them to detract from the character and appearance of the area, I consider it unlikely that any issues would arise.

Regards

Rob Duncan Planning Consultancy[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back