Changing a Bathroom Extractor fan ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been waiting for my landlord to change my bathroom extractor fan over (installed in 1994!) as it makes a horrible screeching noise when its cold, so I've managed to source a replacement (its an Greenbrook G510, formerly RDL G510) and although I don't do that much DIY, I have dome some simple stuff, and didn't think a fan like this would me much trouble, however, after taking the cover off, I was completely taken aback by all the wiring (photo below) - the fan itself has only has 2 connections (L & N according to the schematic I downloaded) but I can't really tell whats happening here - can anyone help me out please? From what I can tell, its just a simple Light ON - Fan ON, Light OFF - Fan OFF set-up ...

oRQezIO.jpg

Sponsored Links
On the face of it it looks as if the fan is being used as a JB for some other cables.

Leave it to the landlord to sort out.

It is not your responsibility and you are obviously not competent or authorised to carry out this task. So the best advice is to either leave this to the landlord, or get written permission from them, for you to employ a competent installer.

If you cleaned all that gunk off the fan (with the power off, of course), it's possible that your screeching noises would go away. Otherwise, as has been said, you should leave it to the landlord and/or a proper electrician.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
On the face of it it looks as if the fan is being used as a JB for some other cables.

Leave it to the landlord to sort out.
Oh I am now, its certainly something I wouldn't like to try and unravel.

The bit about the JB is probably right; there is a double shaver socket about 20" below it, maybe its attached to that in someway.

I've already spoken to the landlord about this a few times, he keeps saying he'll do it, but he never seems to be around these days. Thanks for everybodys input ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back