Changing a bathroom light!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing my bathroom light fitting. My old one had a load of connectors within the ceiling rose but the new one is just a metal housing with basic connectors for the actual lamp. I've connected all the wires accordingly with plastic connection blocks but the only place there seems to be space to keep them is in the hole in the ceiling, leaving the wires for the light coming through into the housing. I got the light from Homebase but the instructions seem to assume that you only have wires to power the light and don't have extra loops to power fans etc. What should I use to safely connect it all up and where should I store the connectors? (The loft above the ceiling is boarded)!

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
All connection should be enclosed in a protective box such as a chok box.
Connect the light to the connection blocks using 3 core flex.

Hi Everyone

*I think* new person had a previous light with a loop in ceiling rose but his new light simply has earth live and neutral.

If I were you I would get up in your loft and fit a junction box for that particular light, IPx4 bathroom fittings are very tight IMO. that will give you the following

live (from previous light and to next light)
neutral (from previous light to next light)
earth (for everything!)
switched live (for the bath room switch)

Depending on the way your extractor fan is wired its usually of the sorts, if its a timer model.

live to live
neutral to neutral
earth to earth
switched live to switched live

if no timer, then the live to live is ommitted.

hope this helps

Lorraine

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back