changing a fuse in a fuse box

Johnd is the person who seem to be right on all aspects -

my sister e mailed me and told me the alarm has a back up on the battery

boyfirend came over - we have all be ill and stressed over christmas also over some other aspects of double glazing and fensa - i feel like ive done a thesis on double glazing the the laws but it all gave me a mini stroke asi found i purchased a property which didnt have the fensa and solicitor didnt spot it and sellers lied on their form as they had double glazing done in 2005 no cert no guarantee so i will have to have it re-done if i want to re-sell and it gave me a mni stoke and bursted bllod vessels in brain. hence typing is bad as one handed.

bf siad we turn off elect - pull back the breaker and replace fuse - simple

I bought a house which had windows changed without any certification. To cover and fall out with building control, the vendor had to take out an indemnity policy. It doesn't cost much at all, so you can do that too for if you sell within 10 years of the change of windows with no issues at all.

Sponsored Links
the windows were done in 2005 so what happens if i sell after the 10 years slot ????

After the 10 year slot, building control can not fine the house holder and a Fensa certficate is worth less than toilet paper after 10 years.

Your solicitor should know this/should have known this.

How you deal with it from here is up to you, but I would be considering reporting him/her to their professional body and seeking compensation, but if it's affecting your health, it may be best just to get things level and sorted and carry on with life.

I bought a house which had windows changed without any certification. To cover and fall out with building control, the vendor had to take out an indemnity policy. It doesn't cost much at all, so you can do that too for if you sell within 10 years of the change of windows with no issues at all.
Before anybody acts on this advice I strongly suggest they do some research into such policies and take proper legal advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.

My understanding (which may be flawed, so the advice above applies to this too, but I'm certain enough of it to want to flag the issue) is:

1) Those policies cover people against the consequences of council enforcement action, not for any consequential losses due to things being improperly done.

2) If you've had any contact with the council etc, and it can be shown that you knew there were problems then you can't be covered by such a policy.

3) Basically they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Sponsored Links
Before anybody acts on this advice I strongly suggest they do some research into such policies and take proper legal advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.

My understanding (which may be flawed, so the advice above applies to this too, but I'm certain enough of it to want to flag the issue) is:

1) Those policies cover people against the consequences of council enforcement action, not for any consequential losses due to things being improperly done.

2) If you've had any contact with the council etc, and it can be shown that you knew there were problems then you can't be covered by such a policy.

3) Basically they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

BAS - I did, I had a conveyancing solicitor take care of it all, as per above.

I made no suggestion that the policy would cover losses, I made it clear it were for fall out with building control, which is why solicitor asked my vendor took the policy out before we completed, to cover me as the new house holder.

yes - im also in the process of having one of these insurances done as ive not got the gas certificate for my boiler even though it was done from corgi registered and with the warm front and its registered with corgi on their site with the number , they never posted me the certificate and i cant remmebr getting it but its available to re-order at 35 pounds - and i have the certificate number - my solicitor suggested the insurance as it was quicker and although i have had the boiler serviced and tested by british gas recently still getting the insurance so he has paperwork for boiler testing and installation documnets by warm front scheme

my main concern here is that i dont have to registed the windows which were installed in 2005 unless i want to sell beofre er 2015 after 10 years i can just sell if i wanted. i was hoping to invest in property for the kids but its a big headace.

if my windows which were installed in 2005 were going to fall out they would have done so by now but the govt want windows to follow certain guidelines for eg thye have to save energy and so forth also there has to be a certain opening upstairs for people to escape if there was a fire ect.

god knows whey they are concerned with RECENT works - my father sold his house and EVERYTHING was on a two pin plug, he had put up a 'lean to' in the 1960s without planning permission - he had no problem selliing his house a few years ago - now its all gone mad -

Personally I would turn of the main switch before closing the fuse carrier

me too

Andrea is this the same house

no light in bathroom as the switch broke
shower in bathroom is new but doesnt work as fuse doesnt work and when i fitted a new one that didnt work

kitchen
no lights as needs new long light and i cannot reach it

front room
no light as it just gone

yes thats a different house

the one im in we have the lights fuse gone - funnily enough i shy away from electrical work and i wait until someone does it as im really scared of it even cant change light bulb so when they go they go

we had a strip light in the kitchne and didnt change it because it meant going to b and q and walking on the bus with it so dint bother also couldnt climb up there and was scared of doing it so just left it

my son says 'oh hope this house isnt going to be like the last one when you cant be bothered changing a fuse '

but we will switch off the mains before we change anything thats common snese really

will do it next month maybe when i get time

im also thinking about doing a building course becasue i love diy but not elecric or gas

back to the windows problem - got a letter off my solictor this morning who assures me its not work the hassle and windows have been there 7 yrs and if i wanted to sell the property i can take out that insurance later on and not to worry about it

To be honest thats probably pretty fair. I still think though if they missed it they should buy the policy for you now (at no cost to yourself.) Who does it say in your Client Care letter to contact in case of complaint?

hi steve- little more complicated than that - the sellers 'lied' on the property questionnaire and declared that no windows had been replaced,yet put something on the HIP - so its more a case against the seller not the solicitor.

bf says to leave it like it is as it was making me poorly and solicitors says dont waste any more money and time and i think they are both right as we need to carry on with living rather then worry too much about things as will be dead before we know it - life is too short !!!

Don't forget: the fuses that go in fuseboxes ARE NOT the same as the ones that go in plugs!!

Plug fuse: BS1362

CU fuse: BS 1361 or BS88-3.

the one im in we have the lights fuse gone - funnily enough i shy away from electrical work and i wait until someone does it as im really scared of it even cant change light bulb so when they go they go

we had a strip light in the kitchne and didnt change it because it meant going to b and q and walking on the bus with it so dint bother also couldnt climb up there and was scared of doing it so just left it

my son says 'oh hope this house isnt going to be like the last one when you cant be bothered changing a fuse '
Don't either son or b/f have arms and legs?

arms and legs yes

common sense - er no

mr bf says he will fix the fuse when the kids are at school one day

he had a look at it and says it just pulls down like the pic and you take it out but best to turn off the elect

eldest son used to fix things for me but personally im really really scared of anything to do with electric and gas.

anyway on the funny side my son wanted to borrow and iron and i said i have a spare travel iron he can use but needed a plug so we took the plug off a radio to put on the iron then we googled how to wire a plug - then i gave him a screwdriver and he said it ws too hard work so he left it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back