Changing a light switch - help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, everyone.

This may seem like a real stupid question, but I just wanna make sure.

I recently bought this light switch from B&Q http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=7720035&PRODID=7710735&textLocation=top and have tried to swap it with our existing dated one.

When I made a note of the existing wiring I noticed that there were only 2 wires! One red and one black.

On the socket i've bought, there are 3 connections - I presume for Live, Neutral & Earth.

The B&Q socket is not marked up at all as to where I put Live & Neutral, so I tried it twice in different positions - but no joy.

After this I refitted our old switch as I didn't want to muck about any more.

The enclosed guide only has diagrams of circuits (com & L1) but no diagram of the actual light switch itself.

Any ideas, folks?

Much ta.

Jack.

Sponsored Links
The earth is not terminated to the switch plate unless this is metal, and has a terminal marked for earth. The earth goes to the back box terminal in the wall. You must use an extra piece of earth wire to join from the back box to the front plate if it is metal.

The red is live, the black is switch-live, and should have a bit or red sleeve to identify it as such. Put the red in L1, and the black in C or visa versa. Dont use L2.

JoshTheDog said:
Hi, everyone.

This may seem like a real stupid question, but I just wanna make sure.

I recently bought this light switch from B&Q http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=7720035&PRODID=7710735&textLocation=top and have tried to swap it with our existing dated one.

When I made a note of the existing wiring I noticed that there were only 2 wires! One red and one black.
That is the case with a good 90% of light switches - it does not merit an exclamation mark. Did you put any effort into reading the "For Reference topic here, or any other material which would show you how light circuits are wired, or did you just assume that you would know this without having to learn?

On the socket i've bought, there are 3 connections - I presume for Live, Neutral & Earth.
No - they'll be for Live and 2 Switched Lives - there is no Neutral at a light switch like this. Being metal (I assume), I imagine it also has an earth connection on the faceplate.

The B&Q socket is not marked up at all as to where I put Live & Neutral, so I tried it twice in different positions - but no joy.
There's no Neutral at a light switch like this. But, at the risks of more howls of outrage from those who don't like ignorance exposed, let's stop for a minute, and examine this notion.

You think that you have live and neutral. If you are right, how much thought did you give to what a switch does? You connect 2 wires, which are not joined together, to it. The switch must do something - there would be no point to a device which did nothing. What did you think it could possibly do as you flick the rocker from one position to another apart from join and disconnect the two wires you'd put into it?

People say "everybody has to start somewhere", but if you think that joining Live and Neutral is something that should happen then you aren't ready to start yet.

The enclosed guide only has diagrams of circuits (com & L1) but no diagram of the actual light switch itself.
I suppose anything is possible with B&Q, but are you saying that the back of the switch doesn't identify the terminals as COM, L1, L2?

Why did you not attempt to find out how the switched worked by using your multimeter to observe the changes in continuity between one terminal and another?

Go on - tell me you don't have a multimeter.

Did you remove the old switch using the point of a knife, or do you own a screwdriver or two?

Do you knock in nails with the heel of a shoe, or do you own a hammer?

Will you hack lumps of meat off today's roast with a hammer and chisel, or do you own a carving knife?

A multimeter is an essential tool, and if you do not own one you should not be doing anything with electricity except using it.

Any ideas, folks?
In the interests of preventing any future experiments that might be harmful, such as putting the earth conductor into one of the switch terminals do this:

Red into C or COM.

Black into L1.

Earth into the earth terminal on the faceplate (assuming this is a metal faceplate), and if the back box is metal, ALSO connect a green/yellow sleeved wire between the earth terminal of that and the earth terminal on the faceplate. If the switch does have a metal faceplate, and your switch cable does not have an earth wire, you cannot use your new switch.

Sponsored Links
Ban-all-Sheds.

I ask things - that's how I learn. You don't have to be so f*ck*ng rude about it.

Were you born with a multimeter sticking out of your a*s or something, or did you learn the skills needed.

Arogant pr*ck.

JoshTheDog,

If a multimeter comes out of your arse. you may need to get it re-calibrated. Mine certainly did, but that's another story....

BAS is only trying to make sure that you live to see another birthday. Give him some slack and accept his advice.

We get a lot of DIYers asking questions here and it makes professional sparkies wince with pain at some of the statements they make.

Have a look at the "For Reference" section. Your question has probably been asked hundreds of times before and BAS is only asking you to check before you post.

JoshTheDog said:
Ban-all-Sheds.

I ask things - that's how I learn. You don't have to be so f*ck*ng rude about it.
Let me get this straight.

You think that you should learn by coming here, and expecting other people to answer questions relating to the most basic of things because you can't be @rsed to read the answers already provided?

And I'm the arrogant one?

I see.

You come here and tell us that you think you should connect live and neutral together at a switch, and expect not to be told that your knowledge is insufficient?

Were you born with a multimeter sticking out of your a*s or something, or did you learn the skills needed.
Imagine going to the "General DIY" forum, and posting about how you'd tried to undo a screw with the end of a knife, and now you'd broken the knife and b*ggered up the end of the screw.

What kind of response do you think you would get?

I say again - YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE SO F*CK*NG RUDE ABOUT IT.

I teach people how to drive for a living. If I used your attitude to every learner who accidentally pressed the gas pedal, or positioned themselves incorrectly in the road - i'd be out of a job.

No - they come to me because they don't know how to drive. I teach them the dangers of driving a one tonne piece of metal around at high speeds every day and I would never NEVER dream of ridiculing them for asking what I deem a stupid question.

Now I apologise if this information is included elsewhere. Before I posted I did a search and got no results that were close. But I did look.

Your response was plain rude and arrogant. And you know it.

I wont be posting here again.

Jack.

PS. Your 2nd repy was just feeble - weak analogies at best.

JoshTheDog said:
Now I apologise if this information is included elsewhere. Before I posted I did a search and got no results that were close. But I did look.
The very first picture you would have found in the For Reference section would have been this:

lamps.gif

And you wonder why I asked you if you'd put any effort into finding the answer. Hardly what I'd call ridiculing you.

As for the rest - I attempted to show that the logical conclusion to be drawn from your "live & neutral" idea was that you don't yet know enough. This is an important, even life-preserving thing to realise. I didn't do it to score points, I did it because I thought you need to be aware that you do lack fundamental knowledge, like the difference between live & neutral. And this forum is not the place for you to learn these things, it's not geared up for that and it would take you far too long. Again, the For Reference topic has pointers to books and other websites that can help.

I then, with what I thought were humorous analogies, tried to explain how important it was that you equip yourself with the right tools. I used those analogies, because possession of a multimeter really is as basic and essential as owning screwdrivers etc., and if you don't own one then you really shouldn't be attempting any work whatsoever.

And then I told you how to wire up your switch.

You call me rude, but was it me who started swearing at you, or you that started swearing at me?........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back