Garden Lighting help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, safe providing suitable cable was used, routed carefully and protected against ingress of moisture. Loop supply from one lamp to the next, and use 3A fuse at the plug. I suggest the fittings will say in the instructions what lamp wattage, but looks like probably 60 or 100 watts.

Pray tell ban, since when has part P applied to anything connected via a plug? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:idea: Thats it, I'm gonna go out and buy a load of 100A plugs and sockets and start putting them in between the meter and CU :D

Adam_151 said:
Pray tell ban, since when has part P applied to anything connected via a plug? :LOL:

and what exactly in part P makes you think that fixed wiring connected via a plug is any less fixed wiring?

Adam_151 said:

(b) after the definition of "dwelling-house" insert -

" "electrical installation" means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter;";

OK, i'll mention it.
As this work involves new fixed lighting outdoors, you may wish to notify your local council, who will charge to inspect it under part P of the building regs. Or you may decide you don't give a rats fuzzy behind about subsidising the local council building control office, and do it without remembering to notify anyone, which would be an offence, though I suspect a popular one since the rules came in, in January.

ban-all-sheds said:
"electrical installation" means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter;";

fixed in what way? to the electrical supply (permenant wiring?) or to a solid object (permenant fixing)?

I would have thought it meant the former, since i thought anything wired via a plug top was exempt from part p, regardless of what you do with the wire from the plug top.

The Electricity At Work Regulations 1989 states that an electrical system includes all conductors and all electrical equipment in it. Maybe someone could tell me if this excludes stuff on plugs?

crafty1289 said:
fixed in what way? to the electrical supply (permenant wiring?) or to a solid object (permenant fixing)?

I would have thought it meant the former, since i thought anything wired via a plug top was exempt from part p, regardless of what you do with the wire from the plug top.
I doubt it. The SI does not define the term "fixed" so it would be reasonable to assume that it means the obvious, everyday meaning - it the item fixed to something, or not?

FWIW, the wiring regs define fixed equipment as that designed to be fastened to a support or otherwise secured in a specific location.

I know that the regs are not statutory, nor are they referenced in this context by the SI, but given what they say, and given what the ordinary definition of the word means, I can't see that if push came to shove, LABC or a court would not decide that those lights were fixed electrical equipment.

So plugging them in does not "get round" Part P.

Spark123 said:
:idea: Thats it, I'm gonna go out and buy a load of 100A plugs and sockets and start putting them in between the meter and CU :D

oi! that was my idea!

ban-all-sheds said:
crafty1289 said:

I doubt it. The SI does not define the term "fixed" so it would be reasonable to assume that it means the obvious, everyday meaning - it the item fixed to something, or not?

FWIW, the wiring regs define fixed equipment as that designed to be fastened to a support or otherwise secured in a specific location.

quote]

By extension of this logic everybody with a massive wall mounted flat panel TV should apply for part P approval?!After all, they're designed to be fixed to the wall? Same for wall lights fitted with a flex and 3 pin plug?! Proof once again that Part P is ill thought out, poorly explained and impossible to police. Reading between the lines it looks like it SUPPOSED to keep check on fixed wiring alterations, overloaded circuits and lack of protection on circuits. However, it's so full of loopholes, lack of definitions etc that it's probably unworkable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back