Changing a switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an inline switch that I would like to wire into a light switch fitting to smarten it up. Which way should it be wired up? Live L1 / Neutral Comm maybe but what about the earth too?

Sponsored Links
If you put live to one side of a switch and then neutral to the othger side then, after you've turned the switch on you will need
1. a new fuse
2. a new switch

The neutral does not connect to the switch at all. You connect the supply live to COM and the live output to the switches L1 terminal.

May be easier if you show us a photo of your switch, is it another in-line switch?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It’s just a normal one way light switch that I want to use. I have twin and earth cable on each side of it. Would the earth just be connected together and not go into the switch?

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpeg
    IMG_0481.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 46
Is that picture of the existing switch that worked fine with that wiring set up ?

Sponsored Links
No, that’s what I want to wire it into. It was just a clicker type switch so I wanted it to look better in a normal light switch. It’s isolated until I know which way to wire it in.

Don’t switch it on. You’ll kill the switch.
The two neutral blue wires connect together in a separate junction. They don’t connect to the switch AT ALL!!!!
The earths also need joining together in. A separate terminal block.

Then, one brown wire to COM, the other brown wire to L1.
Like this, only you don have the third feed out cable
IMG_3501.jpeg

thanks @flameport

Show us a pic of wiring at old switch before you removed it ,if you have one.
Or tell us what the old switch terminal markings were and what wires connected to each.

I’ve only put the wires in to show for the photo to get an idea of what to do with them. Thanks Taylortwocities, that’s just what I needed to know, I have terminal blocks I can use to wire it in.

Unless you took a photo of wiring beforehand or as @terryplumb says, post photo of removed switch that’s being replaced indicating wiring layout, then you might need to test the wires, which might be beyond your skill set.

It was a switch like this one, wired just like a plug.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.png
    IMG_0483.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 32
Seems so easy now, earth together, neutral together, live in top other live in bottom of switch. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back