Changing a timer fan to a pull cord fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a timer fan in my bathroom. Whenever the light switch is turned on, the fan comes on.

I would like the fan to come on only when selected, so I have purchased a pull cord fan.

Is it just a matter of replacing the L and N terminals or is there more to it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your help.

My current timer fan has a 3 core flex with 3 terminals,
L (permanent live)
N (neutral)
L1 (live from switch)

The pull cord fan I have just purchased has only 2 terminals,
L (Permanent live)
N (neutral)

For the new fan, can I just connect the L and N terminals and insulate the L1 wire.

Cheers.

Hi,

I currently have a timer fan in my bathroom. Whenever the light switch is turned on, the fan comes on.

I would like the fan to come on only when selected, so I have purchased a pull cord fan.

Is it just a matter of replacing the L and N terminals or is there more to it?

Thanks

For a room without an opening window the fan needs a 15 minute run on. There are all sorts of conditions that need to be met. These include ensuring that by forcing air out of one room it does not cause fumes to be drawn into another room.
It is all laid out in Part F building regulations.
Is is available as free down load.
I would think a pneumatic time switch is best option for manual operation then it can neither be switched off too soon or left on too long.
But reading Part F there are so many things which will alter what is allowed I think you are best reading yourself.
See here to down load your copy

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for your help.

My current timer fan has a 3 core flex with 3 terminals,
L (permanent live)
Leave connected and take second wire to new switch
N (neutral)
leave as is
L1 (live from switch)
remove and replace with return from new switch

This will work but is not really best option as it does not include an isolator. Because fans do go wrong and when they do it is good to be able to isolate one normally fits an isolator as well. This unlike the pull switch will also remove the permanent live used to let fan run on 15 minutes.

Once you alter wiring it should conform with latest regulations which may mean you need an isolator with a RCD built in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back