Changing Basin Taps That Have Been Cemented On.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm gonna fit some new taps to our old sink in the bathroom,
but because I'm a crap plumber, I need some help. :oops:

The existing ones look like they've been fixed on to the basin
with some kind of cement or putty which of course is rock hard.
I presume this has been used to stop the taps from spinning round.

Now, before I try and remove them, I would like some advice.

Should they be easy to remove, or will dynamite be required ?
I don't want a small job to turn into a major one (you know
what I mean), so any advice will be appreciated.

Also, is the use of cement/putty the normal way to fix taps on,
or is normally not necessary ?

Thanks in advance.

Yorkie. :)

Sponsored Links
if you can get the backnuts loose (usually a job in itself)

try wiggling the taps about if you can get them to move they will come out

also try a spot of heat BE CAREFUL

Address the issues with the client first as you stand a very good chance of breaking the basin, and you could be buying him a new one at your cost if you don't put him in the picture first.

Best way to free the taps is to cut the top off with a hacksaw blade and tap it through from above.

Sponsored Links
If its a really old sink the tap holes might be square and the taps seated with a kind of putty. Gentle heat will soften old putty, try it on your old windows.

If things get tough it might pay to take the sink off the wall first.

If I find any plumber that thinks that its a good idea to put putty on the taps I will seriously hit them with a wet fish!

7 hours today to try and remove the taps, I told the customer I could try and force the basin but it might break....so... a cracked basin and fitting a replacement later and im stuck on the cold water tap on the bath (furthest one back) Hammer/drill/swearing at it no good... Hacksaw tomorrow

I really wouldnt mind but this couple im working for seemed really hard up so as a kind of favour I thought I wouldn't charge them my normal rate... more fool me eh?! :oops:

Yes, what a nightmare.

Our house was built in 1950 and has an original basin in one of the bedrooms. I liked the design, and it was undamaged, but the cold tap had lost a lot of chrome.

View media item 38758
I popped along to Wickes and found some taps which really matched the geometrical style of the basin well. But it took a whole morning to do the job. Had to cut through the H & C pipes, carefully disconnect the lead waste, and remove the basin from the wall. Then, out in the garden, I got to work with my trusty angle grinder :eek:

View media item 38759
It took a lot of patience, but I got those taps off without a mark on the basin, in spite of the square holes and 60 year old rock-hard putty.

After re-tiling, it looks really posh now (the pic was beforehand, obviously!) :)

Is there a competition on that I have not been made aware of?

Something along the lines of:

"How old a thread can you revive"

yet another one. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back